1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blank Red Screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Evolved, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's happened, literally, four times now.

Within the past three days, I've experienced random red screen's of death.

Whether I'm watching a movie or just idle on my desktop and talking to friends on teamspeak, my screen will randomly and instantly turn RED!

As a matter of fact, it just happened exactly one minute from this post. I just had to restart my computer manually.

Any idea what's going on? This is the first time I have ever seen and experienced this, and it seems like it's going to be an on-going problem unless it's fixed.

There has been some subtle changes in my system; replaced an AMD video card and now, currently using, an Nvidia card.

I also installed an OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit; the LEGIT copy.

So, what's the hypothesis?

EDIT: Other things are; my Asus GTX 670 DCU II is overclocked using Asus GPU Tweak, but not even by that much; only 100Mhz on both the GPU and Memory.

2. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody knows eh?

Could it be a faulty GPU?

3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any hardware monitoring programs open when this happens? I thought I heard on here about RSODs with GTX 600 cards and using 2 monitoring programs at once e.g. GPU-Z and HWMonitor. That's all I really have as far as input at the moment.

Evolved says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. sumonpathak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rma the GPU.

Evolved says thanks.
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember back in the day, red screens came from bad cables or the fact that you didn't screw in a DVI and it worked its way loose.

Evolved says thanks.
  6. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    usually bad graphic memory from my experience

Evolved says thanks.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I googled "GTX 670 red screen" and got a lot of hits. Seems like a bad card.

Evolved says thanks.
  8. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    I kept my computer on since this morning, around 10:00am.

I opened a bunch of applications and kept a game on to put some stress on my system.

So far, there has been no red screen; and this is after I uninstalled Asus GPU Tweak and GPU-Z.

GPU Tweak may have been the problem. So far, no red screen. I will try furmark, again when I get home.

9. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crap. I had googled this too, apparently quite a number of Asus 670 Direct CUII are having this issue :(

Check your clocks in-game. Apparently from what I read some of the cards in-game are going higher than the factory overclock.

There's another member having a similar issue with the same card. You might want to check it out.

Evolved says thanks.
  10. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    People are having this issue with EVGA and Gigabyte as well; as I have seen on Youtube.

So far there hasn't been any red screen, and my computer has been on and under stress since this morning, around 10am EST.

Playing games right now and no problems. I know my card has amazing temps (ranging from 40c to 60c) and up to 72c if I am playing a heavy game like Battlefield 3.

I feels like GPU Tweak and/or GPU-Z was the problem. I remember reading somewhere, it had something to do with temp monitoring software messing up the BIOS of the Video card.

11. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    My temps are fine. They are surprisingly low compared to any other card I have ever owned.

12. MetalRacer

MetalRacer

Thanks Received:
    I've had it a couple times with the Asus GTX 680 DCU II TOP, I'm pretty sure the Asus GPU Tweak is the culprit.

Evolved says thanks.
  13. SoWErA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had about 4 rsod in 4days with my new computer with an Asus gtx 670 and I had asus gpu tweaker installed after uninstalling it my system have been online for first 48hours and then after reboot another 8days so far I run my system 24/7! and still no problems!

there is a new version of asus gpu tweaker(2.1.4) for the card now on asus homepage but I haven't had a chance to test it and I haven't found a changelog so no idea if it's been fixed for our cards with asus gpu tweaker!