• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Announces Upcoming 'Battle for Azeroth' Expansion for World of Warcraft

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
By now Blizzard should've become a movie company. Really looking forward for yet another expansion.
Their cinematics are so well done, my buddy and I dont know why they just didnt use that technology that they use for in game cutscenes and cinematics/trailers for the Warcraft movie. Movie would have been so much better visually and they could have used original voice casting that they have in game for their characters.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Their cinematics are so well done, my buddy and I dont know why they just didnt use that technology that they use for in game cutscenes and cinematics/trailers for the Warcraft movie. Movie would have been so much better visually and they could have used original voice casting that they have in game for their characters.

The movie was made by ILM, one of the best VFX studio around (http://www.ilm.com/) they used an old version of Renderman with reyes for the characters (the render engine of pixar), meanwhile blizzard is using (at least now) redshift, a gpu renderer.
(https://www.redshift3d.com/).
The current version of Renderman with RIS is (overall) better than redshift, but when they made the movie it wasn't available, and Redshift was then a very young software, they couldn't possibly have used it for such a large scale production. Even now Redshift is mostly used for short or tv show rather than big hollywood movies. However before working on warcraft, ILM used a software called Arnold for Pacific Rim, and at the time Arnold was a more modern renderer, so I don't know why they didn't used it.

However i think that they managed quite well for something that was made with a tech who was at least 20 years old.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I have played WoW in the past, all the way to warlords. It was a great game with some awesome polish and game options.

I have since left the game for ESO. Much better game in my opinion. Especially the Morrowind chapter that was just released.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
If you've been subscribed since 2004 at $15/mo then you would have spent over $2,300 on just the base game. Screw this disgusting practice. Yea the game is 13 years old now. That's how old I was when it came out and even then it looked like a small childrens game.

Hahaha somebody has been living under a rock I suppose. And on top of that, you've missed out on perhaps one of the more interesting developments in gaming if you didn't experience this game back in Vanilla/TBC.

WoW has been and still is one of the best MMO's on the marketplace, is hands down the most expansive RPG you can find in gaming, with the largest amount of content, a high degree of quality in all of this content, and a flawless, virtually bug-free experience and net code. Guess all that money did go somewhere useful too ;)

Even today, it still feels like a polished and well designed game with strong mechanics and concept, and even today, it still offers a difficulty and challenge for literally every class of player, from casual to hardcore.

I challenge you to find any game that ticks all the above boxes. There's a good reason it used to stabilize around a player count equalling the total inhabitants of my country, and today is close to a third of that still. In addition, I think its worth stepping in today just to see what you've been missing - I strongly doubt there will be something like it in the future, the age of the MMO is coming to its end rapidly, as is the age of high quality massively online gaming beyond a stupid mobile or browser app.

Disgusting practice - can't disagree more man. Blizzard is one of the most up-front and honest developers you can find. Its a sub based MMO and that was never a secret, and across 13 years, not once did players get left out in the cold. Even today, if I raise a ticket with them, I get a useful response within 24 or 48 hours. Compare this to your random Ubi or EA (or Warner) release, riddled with DLC and loot boxes and effectively making you pay a similar amount to a WoW sub but without all the perks you do get in WoW, both in content and service.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

It's not Blizz themselves who make those. But yeah, I'd watch a movie of that. Preferably Diablo. edit: My bad. I stand corrected. I could've sworn I heard another name floating around but I guess not.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
WoW has been and still is one of the best MMO's on the marketplace, is hands down the most expansive RPG you can find in gaming, with the largest amount of content, a high degree of quality in all of this content, and a flawless, virtually bug-free experience and net code. Guess all that money did go somewhere useful too ;)

Even today, it still feels like a polished and well designed game with strong mechanics and concept, and even today, it still offers a difficulty and challenge for literally every class of player, from casual to hardcore.

While I definitely agree that WoW is the best MMORPG from a technical standpoint, I still miss the early days, and how it was harder to level say a priest than a hunter. When "solo" meant something. I know the concept wouldn't fly today in WoW because hitting lvl 100+ would take forever and be needlessly hard, but I still miss the sense of adventure. Now it's all a race. I miss the old crafting and the different paths you had to choose from. And I miss the lack of flying, for some reason. The world got so much smaller when you got a flier. That was one thing I liked about WoD: it actually was sorta hard to get a flier, and essentially impossible to do solo. I approve of such things.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
While I definitely agree that WoW is the best MMORPG from a technical standpoint, I still miss the early days, and how it was harder to level say a priest than a hunter. When "solo" meant something. I know the concept wouldn't fly today in WoW because hitting lvl 100+ would take forever and be needlessly hard, but I still miss the sense of adventure. Now it's all a race. I miss the old crafting and the different paths you had to choose from. And I miss the lack of flying, for some reason. The world got so much smaller when you got a flier. That was one thing I liked about WoD: it actually was sorta hard to get a flier, and essentially impossible to do solo. I approve of such things.

Agree 100%

Vanilla WoW was an actual quest, it felt like an actual journey, priceless. When a full day of playing would net you perhaps 1G or 2G, towards the 1000 needed for that horse mount :D They had the immersion sorted like nothing else back then. Nostalgia :)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Nostalgia :)

Ome would think so, but personally I actually enjoy WotLK servers the most. It has a balance between what's new (can store more than 5 ores per slot, which is super annoying in Vanilla) and old (still pretty difficult). Or TBC.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The one thing that I miss from WoW is the good old days of an open skill tree. Do you guys remember the shockadin build for paladins? I rocked the holy shock out of that build and loved every minute of it. Blizzard tried to give healers some dps abilities with the later expansions, but it was not the same. Or maybe I needed to tank a few mobs for a specific boss. What would I do? Hearth to Stormwind, respec to prot/ret build, and then get summoned back in to own some mobs. They started handing stuff to us like locked down talent trees to help the younger players and duel spec to allow raiders to change on the fly... We no longer need hit points to hit mobs....I call this hand holding. I should have the choice to spec my talent tree to whatever I want in any spec.

I went to Path of Exile and never came back.....go look at that talent tree. You can get lost for days....weeks even....trying to figure out the optimal spec. You want to be a melee ranged healing spinning warrior of doom? No problem. Path of Exile has you covered and it is f2p.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
The one thing that I miss from WoW is the good old days of an open skill tree. Do you guys remember the shockadin build for paladins? I rocked the holy shock out of that build and loved every minute of it. Blizzard tried to give healers some dps abilities with the later expansions, but it was not the same. Or maybe I needed to tank a few mobs for a specific boss. What would I do? Hearth to Stormwind, respec to prot/ret build, and then get summoned back in to own some mobs. They started handing stuff to us like locked down talent trees to help the younger players and duel spec to allow raiders to change on the fly... We no longer need hit points to hit mobs....I call this hand holding. I should have the choice to spec my talent tree to whatever I want in any spec.

I went to Path of Exile and never came back.....go look at that talent tree. You can get lost for days....weeks even....trying to figure out the optimal spec. You want to be a melee ranged healing spinning warrior of doom? No problem. Path of Exile has you covered and it is f2p.

I barely even played but I remember those Paladins could solo well, and were nearly unkillable.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Yet, you judge the game without ever having owned it? Seems legit. :kookoo:
Doesn't mean I haven't played it. Its just Horde V Alliance, children themes.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Doesn't mean I haven't played it. Its just Horde V Alliance, children themes.

Not exactly. It's not dark vs light or anything. If that's what you mean. Thrall is one of cooler goody characters around....and his people (Orcs) aren't beasts like humans first thought. They're space aliens who got abused into being that way.

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
It's funny people harping about the subscription. I've had a WoW account since alpha/beta and never once cancelled, even in the times where i fell into other things or just didn't have time to play. Honestly i think that WoW offered an experience that many other games couldn't offer to me. I spent hours, hundreds and thousands of them over the last 13 or so years doing all sorts of things in the game. I never felt like i was just grinding, never felt like someone could do it better. This expansion seems to build on many of the fixes in legion and i'm pretty excited for it.

Sure you can complain about the sub fee, but you clearly didn't spend thousands of hours playing to max level, raiding, staying up late on a work/school night and getting up the next morning to find out a casual player just dumped 100 bucks on loot boxes and has all the same gear you do. WoW is about the experience, that comes with a cost. I'd rather pay the 15 a month to not put out with P2W games. It's not worth complaining on the forums about the cost.

On another note, it's hard to listen to people harp about it being a "bad game". Just go google the number of MMO's that fell at WoW's feet in the last 13 years.

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
Ome would think so, but personally I actually enjoy WotLK servers the most. It has a balance between what's new (can store more than 5 ores per slot, which is super annoying in Vanilla) and old (still pretty difficult). Or TBC.

I agree that Wrath might be my favorite of the Xpacs for sure. Even with every other toon being a DK(me included lol)

System Name Samolet
Processor FX-8320 @ 4.5 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Phanteks TC14PE
Memory 4x4gb Samsung Green 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7970 Dual-X
Storage Intel 335 240gb + WD 1TB
Display(s) Dell 23" Full HD IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810 + NZXT Sentry Mix
Audio Device(s) Xtreme Music
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Clearly strange that its not mentioned the really big surprise on blizzcon - the new classic(vanilla-and other expansions) servers that blizzard are working on. They will come probably next christmas, but still its much more interesting news than the next crappy expac that is just rehashing of rehashing of rehashing. I left in WoTLK and if they don't remake vanilla how it was I am not coming back.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
It's funny people harping about the subscription. I've had a WoW account since alpha/beta and never once cancelled, even in the times where i fell into other things or just didn't have time to play. Honestly i think that WoW offered an experience that many other games couldn't offer to me. I spent hours, hundreds and thousands of them over the last 13 or so years doing all sorts of things in the game. I never felt like i was just grinding, never felt like someone could do it better. This expansion seems to build on many of the fixes in legion and i'm pretty excited for it.

Sure you can complain about the sub fee, but you clearly didn't spend thousands of hours playing to max level, raiding, staying up late on a work/school night and getting up the next morning to find out a casual player just dumped 100 bucks on loot boxes and has all the same gear you do. WoW is about the experience, that comes with a cost. I'd rather pay the 15 a month to not put out with P2W games. It's not worth complaining on the forums about the cost.

On another note, it's hard to listen to people harp about it being a "bad game". Just go google the number of MMO's that fell at WoW's feet in the last 13 years.

I used to be an earlier (pre WoW) fan of MMOs. I have no prob with the sub. I just hate how they all eventually became very Everquest-like. And WoW killed them all, as it was the best of the bunch. By the time it came out, I was too familar with the gameplay, so I never could stick with it. It's great for what it is though. I just wish there had been more sand boxy games, like UO. There was never enough of those to get bored with them.

edit: The thing that got me to play at all is the story from the rts games. But I lost track of what's even going on in the setting. It's not "kiddie" though. Not sure what that other poster is talking about.

Last edited: