1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Servers Hacked, User Data Compromised

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 10, 2012.

1. [XC] Oj101

[XC] Oj101

Thanks Received:
    Anything man-made security can and eventually will be breeched.

2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I'm willing to bet this happens far more times than we are made aware of..

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The moment you stepped online you forfeit privacy, pretty much. Or come to think of it, when you're born.

4. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Yea I think they call that a "social security card"..lol..

5. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Indeed. A long time ago I was building high end servers, workstations, render farms,etc for a huge amount of different companies, and I had the chance to meet and discuss this subject with many admins and security expert.
    The one thing I learnt and told was that whatever you want to have secured, you must make sure that it's on a system which doesn't touch the internet at all, because if it does, sooner or later it can be and will be "hacked".
    I understand that decades later it's very different story, because thousand of users must have access to content and data, and "things" must be kept online, but - apparently- the main rule still holds:)

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    that isnt even entiely plausible anymore though. with a network as big as any MMO game even if the bulk of user data is stored on a server that doesnt host the world. the IT staffs personal PC can access it the game servers can access it and need to access it to authenticate and both game servers and IT guys PC are connected to the net. all roads lead to rome and even the most secure intranet has bridges going to it that eventually connect to the outside. Even the biggest honeypot will crumble if someone is determined enough.

7. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Changed my password, even though I have an authenticator toggle. My account would be worth a fair bit I'd reckon!

Update your security and move on Blizzard. This was unpreventable. Just lucky no credit card details were taken.

8. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I understand that of course, but the meaning was that (I guess) there is still no way to protect it if it's online, while you have a small/better chance if it's offline. Another layer of defence is always a good idea, especially when it comes with advantages like that you only have to watch some "bridges" and not the entire "wall":)