1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

blu-ray/PS3 @ 1080i

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TUngsten, Apr 23, 2008.

1. TUngsten

TUngsten New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about going w/ a PS3 for the blu-ray capability

Will I see a significant difference w/ BR over standard DVD with a 32" samsung 1080i lcd?

My guess is that the difference will be negligible for the resolution, but I am curious what folks here have experienced. My current DVD player upscales to 1080i via HDMI and is pretty nice, but I'm torn between getting an XBOX360 and a PS3...

so it's basically the XBox catalog vs BR

thanks for comments!
  2. kyle2020 Guest

personally, i owned a PS3 before i got my 22" HD syncmaster. If anything, normal DVD's on a bog standard playerare exactly the same as a regular DVD in the PS3 - its only when you start using blu-ray discs that you spot the difference. but blu-rays are more expensive, so its upto you. you'd be getting a kick arse console mind ;) (dont get a 360. great consoles but sound like your sat near a boeing 737 when the discs run at full speed)
  3. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You will notice a difference using the ps3, but not a whole lot. It will upconvert the standard resolutions (480) to 1080, near high definition. On a 1080i tv, the difference would probably be even lesser than that of a 1080p (which is the only comparison I have).
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    There is definitely a noticeable difference between an upscaled DVD and a Blu-Ray movie.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Absolutley. I was just comparing the standard definition, and didn't even mention BR. You will not get the full effect of the player, but it will still be a drastic improvement over an upconverted standard def movie.