1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blue screens at 4ghz

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Nonoy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Nonoy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been having problems over clocking my system to 4ghz...it seems stable untill it bluescreens...

I have a Socket 478 P4 3.4ghz Prescott(spu fan is the zalman CNPS9500 LED)
    4x512mb kingston ddr400 memory
    ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe motherboard
    Promise sata2 RAID controller with 2x160 WD sata2 Striped
    ATI X850 256mb DDR3
    XFI sound card
    al in a lian li case with a antec 420wt power supply

it runs okay at 3.7ghz, but was wondering why it crapped out at 4ghz.. it was working at
    4ghz last nite and then after I was done installing all the drivers it bluescreened.
    it is a fresh install of windows. also..tried to reinstall windows at 4ghz and it bluescreened again...at 3.7ghz it working fine right now...
    is there anyway I can get it at 4ghz? could it be possible it doesnt like to be at 4ghz?
  2. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your memory is bottlenecking, had same problem. Thought it was the cpu voltage so I kept going up one by one and erm 1.6 volts and I figured out that it was mem i was like fuck i burnt out my cpu for nothing!!!
  3. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

Many lessons can be learned from overclocking....

1.) never install windows overclocked. Doing that is just begging for problems.

2.) Upping the FSB does not just modify the CPU speed. Consider other factors. In the case of a NB CPU scenario, you also have PCI/AGP bus (if its not locked), Memory speed/voltage, memory timings, CPU voltage, and NB voltage.
  4. Nonoy New Member

Thanks Received:
    the FSB went up to 961mhz when i force the cpu at 4ghz. should I up the voltage on my cpu or memory or both? or since it is stable at 3.7ghz should I just keep it at that?
    I would like to go to 4ghz though..it was so fast....:confused:

I have been in computers for a long long time but now wanted to get more performance out of my computer..any hints?
  5. Nonoy New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do you think about the PC3500 memory thats overclocked by kingston..I think it is the HyperX memory..
  6. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    for overclocking mem stick with ocz or corsair, kingston is built for stock performance. but as for your current problem I'm assuming you'va 17x multiplier so at 4GHZ the mem would have to be 235x2 thus 470MHZ doubting th kingston will run at that drop the memory to 166(333) speed (thus a 5/6 divider) in the bios and try again. 3700 probably works cause at that fsb the mem is only at 433MHZ an easier overclock to obtain.
  7. Nonoy New Member

Thanks Received:

that makes sense...hmm...I will look into getting better memory then...thanks for all your help everyone:nutkick: