1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Boot Emergency!

Discussion in 'Storage' started by TheMailMan78, Nov 8, 2010.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    My computer will not select the correct drive to boot from. I went to the bios and tried to select the priority but the drive doesn't show! However when I hold F8 and select it she boots fine. The only changes I have made was a small update from Microsoft and I started using Ready Boost. Both of which I have now removed and am still having the same problem.

The damn windows disk doesn't even see it!

WTF happen!
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Drive could be on its way out. I had a similar problem with a drive that was just too slow to initialize in time for the bios to pick it up.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Shit the damn thing is a year old. Hmmmm If I reformat the bitch and install a new OS and the problem happens again then the drives dead/dying. OR if I reinstall again and it fixes it maybe it was a corrupt file?

I mean if it were dying and slow why wouldn't the windows disk at least see it?
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I assume you have tried a new SATA cable or tried hooking it to a different SATA port on the mobo?
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No. I did check the connections and everything was fine. I mean I'm replying on it now. If the port was bad there would be no chance to connect. Am I right?
  6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I didnt realize you were on said PC, you are correct!
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to do a backup now and reinstall. I hate when this kinda crap happens. I have a damn deadline!
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's the same problem I had, a reinstall isn't going to make any difference. RMA the drive.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Update. I am copying everything over now and it says its going to take 23 hours! Its only 70 gigs.
  10. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Damn that could also be a sign of the drive failing. If the drive is ok remember to remove all other drives when installing windows (if your using win 7 that is) or it tends to stick the boot info on other drives lol.

Good luck getting it sorted.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Copying how? It shouldn't take that long. The meter doesn't know shit.

Note that if you have a Western Digital drive in your system you can download Acronis True Image Home for free from WD. Make an image or clone to another disk if you have one so you don't have to reinstall everything from scratch. This will allow you to test the drive further without fear of data loss as well.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    A normal format should do it right? OR do I have to do a low level?
  13. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    If you feel there might be a problem with the drive then i would do a normal format because a low level format seems to put more stress on the drive and it can take hours to depending on the program.

I used disk wizard maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago on my 250gig drive and it took roughly 2 hours.

If you feel the drive might be ok then a low level format might do it some good.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No I'm just concerned about the boot drivers. I want to make sure they are gone.
  15. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Low leveling/zeroing the drive is probably the best thing to do IMO, obviously make sure your data is backed up before doing this... I'm sure you don't need telling but ya no... :) Anyways in the past I've known that zeroing a drive what may be faulty could ruin the drive all together, or make it "like new" again, so if the drive is still under warranty wouldn't you want it to die sooner rather than later? seem's much less hassle to get the job done now rather when you have all your data on the drive and to risk losing it again.
  16. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Sorry had to pop out fast lol, well if you want the boot sector on the main drive then remove all other hardrives first, this way windows 7 will put all info on the drive you want to install it on.

Best way i can explain is like this, I have 2 drives both 250 gig, If both are hooked up when i install windows 7 it seems to put the boot sector on my second drive, If i remove this second drive windows will not boot up of my main drive. So when i install windows 7 i make sure my backup drive/drives are disconected.
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The thing is I'm not even sure its the drive yet. Like I said I tried to use Ready Boost and I think it may have screwed something up.
  18. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    With 4 gig of ram you dont need ready boost as it will do nothing at all, i tryed it myself and it was a fail. its only good if you have a low amount of ram.
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok heres an update. I reinstalled windows and everything works fine.......BUT now I cannot see my backup drive. It shows up in device manager just not in the os. WTF!
  20. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to Ms config and see if it is showing in the boot list.
  21. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Open the start menu and in the search type "computer management" and click on that once found, now in the new window, the list on the left says "storage/Disk Management" Click on disk management and you'll see a list of your drives, the drive you can not see may need to be activated, you can do this by simply right clicking the correct disk and activating.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No it doesnt show. Only my OS drive.

Its there and it says it running and normal.

Anyway I just had the same boot problem on reboot. Everything was fine 10 minutes ago. Now it wont boot without my manually selecting the drive.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind. I guess I had the boot priority screwed up in the bios. Anyway I still cant see my secondary drive. Any ideas? I just backed up everything to it before the reinstall and now I am properly screwed.
  24. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I'm stumped then :(
  25. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I've had the exact same thing happen to me. I managed to access the HDD via Linux (booted off an Ubuntu DVD). I could access the data from there (which is a good thing), but I couldn't get windows to recognize the partition on the drive until I wiped it and created a new one (which is a bad thing).

Give it a shot.