• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) appearing

System Name HAL9000
Processor i5 3750k @ stock
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X GHz 3GB
Storage Samsung Evo 850 256GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2411T @ 144Hz
Case anidees AI6BW
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Software W10 64bit
So I've got a fairly new system (its been around 2-3 months that I've had it) and I had never seen a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) till tonight. So it happened when I tried playing a game called A.V.A. Once I ran it, I could browse around for about 1-2 minutes before I got the BSOD. I thought this could've been some random crash so I tried it again and the same thing happened. So I left AVA alone and went on to play CSS and as usual there were no problems at all. Then I tried playing a game called Karos Online and once I got into the actual game, another BSOD appeared. So I restarted my PC and thought 'well it might be because I'm running Foobar and playing this at the same time' (no idea why I thought Foobar would affect this but yeah) but even though Foobar was off, I got another BSOD. So, what is the problem?

For reference, this was the first time on this particular system that I tried running both games (A.V.A. and Karos) but I doubt its much to do with that.

Could it be my PC over-heating? Maybe I should get the ol'hoover out and suck this mofo out?

System Name AMD Black Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5 w AC Twin Turbo
Storage Crucial C300 64GB SSD, 500GB and 2TB Drives
Display(s) Samsung 2494hm, Dell (Samsung?) 1907FP
Case Lancool (Lian-Li on a budget) K7
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC889A, M-Audio Fast Tracks
Power Supply OCZ Mod-X-Stream Pro 600W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64, XP Pro
Could be anything. Bad RAM, over heating, bad PSU/not enough power, bad drivers. Have you updated any drivers lately? Get the latest video card drivers too. Run a memory test like Memtest86.com and see if it's the RAM.