1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSOD/BUG Check 04F

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bpgt64, Mar 28, 2013.

1. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Computer blue screens, 1-3 times a day over 4 hours of use. I am getting failed to write Memory to Disk when the system BSOD's. I am using 1gb-4gbs of pagefile on the main drive. Do I need more for 32GBs of memory?

Sometimes I can play games for...4-5 hours without issue. It seems to crash more when I am browsing the internet or trying to multi-task. Real Temp shows processor temps even in games well below 60C. Idling to 35-40C. I recently swapped the motherboard thinking it might be related to the on board NIC dieing randomly(some days it would work, somedays it would not).

Symptoms remain after Motherboard replacement, Bios update, and lowering all overclocks to standard speeds, with Turbo scaling off. Thoughts?

The system I am referring to is the one in the system specs to the left.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    have u tired testing ur memory maybe once at the time, then two and so on, ino it takes a lot of them but it could be a bad memory stick or may one of them don't wanna run with the others.

3. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I actually have 2 separate 4x8gb kits and I get the same errors with either kit in. Is it possible for both kits to be bad? I just though it highly unlikely..

4. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Assuming you're talking about sig-rig, it could be the memory controller. If swapping the board and memory didn't fix it, I'd be looking heavily at the processor, specifically the IMC. I would highly suggest running memtest86+ as it should test your processor cache too.

..and if you're going to burn a CD just to run memtest, you might as well get the Ultimate Boot CD which includes memtest86+ and a metric crapton of other utilities.

If you decide to go with the Ultimate Boot CD, you could also try booting in to Parted Magic which runs a Linux OS (based on Debian?) live off the CD. That would rule out the hard drive/OS.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    ^Agreed. Also stress the CPU and take a look at the PSU voltages with something like HWMonitor.

Edit- Also make sure to check for latest firmware for your SSD. In the Microsoft forums, a guy with the same SSD as yours faced a similar BSOD after a fixed time interval. He updated the firmware of the SSD and the issue was resolved.

xvi says thanks.
  6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem with my M4 and sig rig. It shipped with the latest firmware, but regularly crashes to the point where the BIOS won't see it until I power off the drive for 10-20 seconds. It's ridiculous.

Annoying thing is that it worked perfectly fine for a few weeks, degraded until it would BSOD on boot, reinstalled Windows, worked fine for a few days, and now won't work at all. Works perfectly fine in my laptop or in sig rig with a PCI-e SATA controller.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked you SATA signal and power cables? Might be the issue. And also make sure you are using the latest firmware for your SSD and latest BIOS for your motherboard.
    To rule out any compatibility issues, set the mode to IDE in BIOS and check.

8. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    THIS...When ever the crash happens, it reboots the system and doesn't see the main HDD until I shut it off for 30 seconds.

I am going to be picking up a 120 GB Intel 530 based SSD to replace it, for a few reasons. I want to run more apps on the main drive and if this is the common root cause then it makes sense.

I updated the firmware when they released a new version that showed big performance gains. I'll update it again when I replace the main drive.

xvi says thanks.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft says:

M4 SSD's dropping off of mobos is stability issue, IMHO. I can replicate it, even, it's caused by making Intel MEI unstable, I think. It's not just M4's, either(I have two), you'll find nearly every SDD has one or two users with this problem. What happens, it seems, is TRIM command is sent to SDD, but it's not completed before the system shuts down, and loses power, and the queued command not being resolved causes the drive to disappear from BIOS.

as to BSOD codes, you can find the full list here. I just looked up your code.:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh994433(v=vs.85).aspx

10. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Like I say, works fine in other computers or even the same computer with a different controller. 64 GB might be a little small if you don't like changing the install path of applications all the time. Should work pretty well otherwise.

I'd contact Crucial support and complain. I don't know why these M4s are so popular if they have these problems.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The 04F error code is mainly a hardware error, since you have ruled out the ram, I would suggest it's either a HDD or as you mentioned a pagefile error. I would start by enlarging your pagefile to a fixed (set at min and max) 8096GB and test from there, you may find that solves your problem, as you multitask, open and close different apps the pagefile is just not clearing fast enough.

If that fails to do the job, I would suggest downloading a free HDD error checking utility, there are a few out there and many are better than the Windows offerings and give that a run and see if it comes up with anything.

12. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:

Well, see thats been another reason I have had to replace the M4, it seems to not want to write a Memory.dmp file. I have become very familiar with WinDBG.exe in reading the dumps for errors, but this one isn't writing that DMP, sometimes it's because there isn't enough space dump.

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Only because you have had other hardware issues, I'd be looking at PSU before anything else.

My only point, really, was that 4F BSOD relates to a hardware error, not always an SSD. There are different things that can cause an SSD to not appear in BIOS after a shutdown. The real problem with the M4, is that it they don't give a lot of info about themselves, so actually checking the SSD for what's going on is really hard.

Just something to consider. ;) NO way I could tell you what is really wrong without the system in hand, that BSOD is not specific enough, nor is the other behavior.

14. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Well, I came from a Cooler Master 1200W, swapped in a Corsair HX650. Same issue.