1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Build advice for AM3+

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by JustaTinkerer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, new here.
    Have been reading W1zzards reviews since his ATI Radeon X1950 back in 2005 I think, I never had much time, for forums so never joined one, I find myself with more time now so it seemed right to join one that had in its ranks such a , for lack of better words, wizard.

On to the first question I have ever ask online that didn't involve "where is my RMA" or "have you sent it yet"

The last time I built a PC for myself was the one I am using now back in 2007:

PD820
    MSI P6N Platinum
    HIS 3850 <new addition 2009ish
    2 gig of corsair XMS2 <new addition 2009ish

I got a deal from a bloke at work to buy a Asus M5A99X EVO 990X Socket AM3+ and with the price of DDR3 and the good deal on the AM3+ board I thought its a fine time to upgrade.

now the question....what processor, the choice seems limitless, I have £150 processor budget (less is more right enough) but all I am reading is the AM3+ chips, FX-4100 right up to the FX-8150 are simply awful.

I know I can fit AM2/AM2+/AM3 chips but for the life of me I have been out the game so long I cant read that much news/reviews/views.

I have got it down to a FX-6100 or a 1090t....well I hope I have, are there better chips out there for the same price or less?

I know it could be a BIOS issue or a scheduling issue or a just not very good issue but since I don't plan on a new rig for at least another 5 years do I just go for the FX-6100.

Could be its just not very good and buying the 1090t is the better processor.

Maybe neither of those is what I need and I could save a shed load and just go for a x4.

I do overclock heavily
    I watercool with a good custom setup
    I do play games (though not for some time on my PC moved to PS3, but would like to move back)
    I also have 3 19" monitors 1440x900, but think a 5870 would more than cover me for that.

Any views / laughter at how wrong I am / answers?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  3. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    That is harsh. The FX are far from awful, granted they are not the monsters we all hoped for. The FX 4xxx is dirt cheap perfect for somebody on a tight budget.

The 1090T is nice, very decent. I'd take it over the FX 6xxx TBH

The FX-8150 is actually a very good CPU. Demonstrates some of the best multithreaded performance around. Decent in Single threaded applications and to be frank if you're contemplating keeping a the rig for 5+ years it's your best option for longevity.

3x19" monitors..seems like a pretty high resolution. Probably look at the 6950 upwards. Although the 5870 is a keeper if you've already got it.

PowerColor HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2mini.. | Eb...

JustaTinkerer says thanks.
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    it was the same conundrum that happened when Intel released the P4 with HT ability, It took Software time to catch up, Windows 7 utilizes the HT of the P4 properly compared to WIndows XP. If you want to wait for Piledriver but cant wait on a new machine, Grab a PH2 X2 555BE or a PH2 X4 955 BE and call it a day. N personally majority of reviewers on these sites are paid to do it. So they will pitch favor to the other side

JustaTinkerer says thanks.
  5. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah now I think on it 4320x900 is a fair amount of pixels to be pushing about.

I didnt mean awful in the "oh no I just bought a Extra Value Casecom 500W Power Supply"
    The FX-8120 is a strong contender for what I would buy.

I had little idea "piledriver" was coming kinda settled me.

From the last answers The conclusion I am forming is to go for a x4 overclock it till it smokes and put the extra cash into a 6950, wait for piledriver, job done.

All this cos I picked up a M5A99X EVO 990X for £35, I would have waited till after Christmas and gone Intel if it wasn't such a steal on the board.

Cheers off to find a cheapo 955.