1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a new Gaming PC $2500 budget

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Heldelance, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,

So, I'm now buying the parts for my new PC as my current PC is getting long in the tooth and is having issues.

I've already bought my GPU (good thing I bought it straight away as it sold out the day after they had stock) and CPU. My remaining budget at this point is $1300

The GPU is the eVGA 780ti HydroCopper (W/C build).

The CPU is an Intel 4670K.

I need a Motherboard and RAM. For the Motherboard, I'm thinking an MSI 297 Gaming 7 but I'm open to suggestions.

RAM wise, I'm thinking of a Corsair Vengeance 8 gig kit but I've been reading that if you're using an SSD build, a 16 gig kit is better.

For hard drives, I've got 3 platter drives and 1 Samsung 840 Pro 128gb (my OS drive).

With the new build, I'm retaining them but adding a Samsung 840 Evo 1tb drive for the games.

2. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I'm feeling the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING G1 WIFI-BK board wise. Looks solid. Or you could always go for whatever ASUS ROG z97 board. Both should offer the best OC/gaming performance and you could upgrade to refresh if you wanted.

3. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    Both motherboards and RAM are now essentially aesthetic choices, in my opinion.

Grab a 2133 mHz 16GB kit (8x2) on sale and pair it with any roughly $200 Z97 board that suits your fancy.

Newegg has a 10% off deal going on RAM, so have a look.

I'd recommend the EVGA G2 750 PSU and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, if you haven't already checked those boxes.

Others can help you sort out the intricacies of your loop much better than I can.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, forgot to mention I've got a PSU and case as well. I've got the entire loop planned out, just a little concerned about trying to do the whole "short the PSU" thing to test the loop for leaks and stuff.

I've got the HAF 932 and the PSU, I've forgotten what it is but it's a 750W Gold one.

(Edit: Pretty sure the PSU is a Corsair)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If it's for gaming needs there is no reason to spend money on such items. Really $200 for a mobo ?, and there surly no need for 2133 clocked ram either for gaming or\and some BS heatsink.

Depending on required features he could be looking at a $140 mobo and about $150-200 for 16GB of ram as he don't need 2133 ram just that it's 1600 - 1866 will be perfectly fine..

Gotta love how people love to spend other peoples money lol

6. MartinNixon0422

MartinNixon0422

Thanks Received:
    msi z97 gaming 7 is good, (well, i am using gaming 5 though <==poor guy)
    but if you just google about it, should be easy to see the review with that mb

anyway, like AsRock said, you dont need the 2133 ram, just stay with 1600 is fine
    the ram higher than 1600 is most using for overclocking, so you dont need it, unless you do work with overclocking~
    (if you do want to spend all your budget, please go for..lol)

7. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    So I've narrowed my choice of mobos to MSI Z97 Gaming 7 or Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7.

I've been trying to read up on their reviews but they seem to be equally good.

I've found some good 1600 ram, Corsair Dominators. Might get the 4 stick kit for that.

8. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    Rock, the OP has a bloody $1300 budget left after purchasing damn near everything and I'm gonna quibble with him/her over saving $40-60 on a motherboard?

If it was a question of shelling out roughly $250 and above, I'd damn sure argue against it. But, if the board that catches his/her eye is roughly $200, so be it.

What do you think a 16GB 2133 kit costs? $150-200!

Feel free to explore the frugal wisdom of purchasing the MSI Gaming 3 or 5 and a 1600 kit with an OP sporting a water-cooled 780 Ti. Just make sure it's an 8GB kit because 16GB is unnecessary and the OP is clearly shaking coffee cups on the street in between posts.

Vario says thanks.
  9. TheWorldForgotten

TheWorldForgotten New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ha, just because OP obviously has an overload of cash, doesn't mean we should encourage him to spend it all on trivial stuff. It's perfectly fair to point out that you won't get a lot of value out of some of the choices made here. This is regardless if he decided to buy the extravagant water-cooled GTX 780 Ti. I don't fret on people who buy a Bugatti Veyron, but that said, even if I was to buy a car for a billionaire, I wouldn't personally recommend him something extravagant. Why? Because I understand the value of money in society. I agree the setup would be vastly imbalanced because of the inclusion of the aforementioned 780 Ti card, but that is an imbalance OP created himself. Anyhow, you recommend components based on goals. If his goal is to be a show-off, or he has a hard-on for gadget factor, then that's fine, but should be stated so - because people here will recommend from a value perspective.

10. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Its his money, he can spend it how he likes. I'd assume based on his preference for the VGA, 16GB is probably better for him. I only run 16GB because it was only $70 when I bought it 2 years ago. I can't tell the difference between 16 and 8.

Maybe a 2x4GB high speed tight timing ram would be better though, just as much bling with more speed less capacity.

Anyone that uses watercooling is probably not a value spender, as you don't need it to overclock and you don't really even need to overclock with modern stuff.

11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    4GB x 2 2133mhz+ would be good

Though 16GB with 4 sticks of 4GB would be better as it is faster with 4 sticks even though its still in dual channel on LGA1150 platform. 2133mhz is the sweet spot. I don't really recommend anything below that unless its a budget build.