1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Burning AVI to DVD disc any faster?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by SlipSlice, Jul 5, 2007.

1. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I download movies sometimes off of pirate bay and they are always AVI which is fine, but what takes the longest for burning a dvd is the transcoding..is there any way i can convert the AVI movie to something that would burn much faster, because most movies take about 2 hours sometime more..I use Nero, and it works well, just the time sux..

Any tips would be gr8, thx

-S1iP:cool:

PS- I already own the movies, however, I lost them, so I get these BT movies as backups.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Try grabbing ConvertXtoDVD. It's much faster for me at converting, compared to Nero.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If you know what's good for you, you're downloading these movies as backup copies, if you get my drift ;).

4. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    well of course!

5. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    You have to encode the DVD to dvd format in order for it to play, so the best way to speed it up is get more cpu's or speed up your cpu. ;)

Or possibly a more effecient encoder, but I've never seen anyone benchmark encoders to even see if theres noticable speed differences.

6. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Yep, ConvertXToDVD is one of the best around IMHO

I can turn a 90 minute AVI file (DivX, XviD etc) into a DVD file (AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS) thats ready to burn with NERO in about 13 minutes with ConvertXToDVD (the Core2Duo helps ;) )

7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    lol ...I hate to even say this but the high end ATI cards have "Avivo Video Converter" and that converts AVI's to any standard format(mpeg 1 or 2 , divx ,and some others...its the fastest I have seen video converted ....But back to a solution for you..how about DrDivx ...it will create a very nice super quality divx movie and just about all new DVD players now play divx...and DrDivx converts pretty fast on a decent rig:toast:

8. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Thats not true m8. You specifically have to find a 'DivX' compatible standalone DVD Player, not just 'any' old player will support DivX! I have a Sony DVD player and 2x Eltax DVD players that I purchased just because of the DivX playback. The TS has not stated that he has/wants a DVD player that supports DivX.

As for AVIVO, Ive never used that to convert a movie so I cant comment on it, but Im sure that only converts one AVI type into another, not into DVD format (which is what the TS needs)

I have used Dr Divx (on my old Athlon 64 4000+ rig) and I found it very slow. ConvertXToDVD is the program the TS needs to use ;)

EDIT: I just gave AVIVO a go, it does support DVD format, but it crashed :( SO I guess it doesnt support as many AVI types as CXTD does ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007