1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buzzing thru Speakers When gaming

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by super_slav, Aug 16, 2013.

1. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think my on board audio card is faulty, whenever I am in a game the speakers buzz, it is worse when the volume is low, it changes in pich depending on what I am doing in the game, will a dedicated audio card solve this problem or do i have to buy a new motherboard, my motherboard is a gigabyte z68xpud4. I have already tried swapping the graphics card and no luck so I am guessing it is the motherboard, It happened as soon as I swapped the case so I think I might have damaged a circuit when I installed it.

2. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    This is normally caused by poor grounding...
    I would reinstall your motherboard correctly and double check all the power wires are plugged in.

Also make sure your Audio cable is not next to any high voltage power leads.
    You can buy a new Audio card and it MAY fix the issue.

3. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    All the power wires are installed correctly and I don't see anything wrong with the motherboard installation, It has spacers to separate it from the case.

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Some motherboards just have really poor audio circuits, and there are tons of sources of electromagnetic signals in a computer system that can permeate the audio circuit. My motherboard has fairly fancy onboard audio yet I can move my mouse while my video cards are under load and hear my headphones buzz. Try purchasing a dedicated sound card, though some will likely encounter similar issues if they are cheap and have little filtering for the incoming DC power. Either get a new sound card or get a home theater amplifier and speakers that use the HDMI audio from your video card, since digital audio signals are mostly unaffected and good home theater amplifiers are designed to have decent filtering and whatnot..

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the information, I will buy a cheap sound blaster sound card for $20 and see how that goes, if I still have the problem I will buy a new motherboard.

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried just reinstalling the onboard audio drivers or using the default MS driver instead of the onboard chip vendor's driver (Realtek, etc)? I've had this before and the driver trick always corrects it.

7. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    I updated the driver and its still buzzing, buying a cheap creative sound card tomorrow to see if it will fix it.

8. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok ive bought the sound card, do I have to uninstall the onboard realtek drivers?

9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    from control panel of course, you need to disable onboard sound from bios too :D

10. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    My motherboard didn't have a option for disabling the onboard from bios, only the codec so I installed the sound card but windows isn't detecting it according to the driver installation so I am downloading a newer driver from their site to see if it will work.

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what? what kind of board that you have?
    what about pressing del when booting or f1 or f2

12. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a gigabyte z68xpud4 In the bios I went to peripheral devices and audio was not there.

13. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    umm i guess chipset setting :rockout::rockout:

14. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
  15. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I managed to disable the onboard but the sound card is not detected, it is a creative sound blaster vx 1.5. It comes up as unknown device in device manager.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  16. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried contact area of the card?
    does your card sit right?
    try to clean it then put it back

17. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is in the pci slot correctly, I am trying to download another driver and seeing if it going to work.

18. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still does not work, the drivers keep saying that its not recognized, what can I do?

19. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    I had the happen for a good part of the year, I ended up using an hdmi for video and sound, and that got rid of it. Also my mouse being plugged into the back directly caused some of it, but if plugged in through my keyboard it's fine.

I also had RMA'd the motherboard twice and the problem stayed through. I think it has a lot to do with where the stuff is on the MB, in relationship to the devices

20. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just managed to get the sound card going now, the buzzing is still there but its not as loud as before.

21. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    It's a super common problem caused by electromagnetic interference. Don't panic, it is very easily fixed with a ferrite bead or ring. I've used many with great success, and even had to make some makeshift ones with several magnets when a real ring wasn't available.

EDIT: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm

22. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah
    high end soundcard put some shield on it to eliminate any interference

23. super_slav New Member

Thanks Received:
    It did silence it a little, there is a little less static on this creative card and I think it sounds a little cleaner but not as much bass in music.

24. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep
    add on card give little bit space from interference so you would have better output.
    for bass i guess it returns to the chip/transistor that used, cable and speaker itself

25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    are you using the front panel header on the case? try disconnecting it. a poor ground can cause feedback through that, making audio sound like crap.

this has happened to me on so many cases, i no longer use front panel audio.