1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call Of Duty 4 & 5 same stutter problem ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by fireblade77, Jan 3, 2009.

1. fireblade77

Thanks Received:
    i have quite a high spec pc and im getting the same problem in both games.
    if i run single player i can run in max settings 1680x1050 4x aa and textures on extra high for both games and they run so smooth and look great but when i try mulitplayer (some servers worse than others) the game will glitch or stutter now and then.
    i mean u will turn to shoot another player and it will sort of glitch or lag so instead of getting a smooth turn, 1 second ur looking at 1 thing and the next ur looking the other way with no smooth transition between the 2 ?
    it doesnt matter if i turn the graphics down it still does the same.
    i do sometimes find the odd server where this hardly happens which is nice and i understand u will get this in every game just a little no matter how good ur pc is but these 2 games r not as smooth as others.
    my pc spec is
    asus p5b deluxe
    bfg gtx260 maxcore
    intel q6600 2.4 @ 3.0ghz
    2x2gig pc6400 ocz reaper
    corsair 620w psu
    x-fi fatality sound card
    antec 1200 case
    all cooling is good nothing overheating.
    all drivers upto date.
    maybe everyone is getting this but i have a funny feeling that it will be more common with people running game in 1680x1050.
    any help would be nice even if its just to say you get the same problem.
    i am running in vista 32bit but i do have xp on here to so when i start my pc i can choose xp32bit or vista 32bit and if anything i would say it runs just a little smoother on vista believe it or not but hardly anything in it.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It's lag from the internet connection. Your ping is probably too high on those servers. It has nothing ot do with your video card, I'm willing to bet.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  4. fireblade77

Thanks Received:
    pb is upto date and my internet is a great connection so its not lag. my ping is always one of the lowest on the server and i only chose servers where my ping is under 40 ish (under 35 in the menu)
  5. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    It's obviously somthing to do with your internet connection, maybe packet loss or some kind of blockage through firewall, i'd suggest looking into that, and restart your router or maybe turn it off for a while, it could be overheating!
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  6. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can have a ping thats as low as 10 ,but if you are getting packetloss ,it will do exactly what you describe ,having packetloss is worse than a high ping without PL.

try different servers ,check the games options for a way to monitor packetloss while in game ,im willing to bet ur getting a fair bit.
  7. fireblade77

Thanks Received:
    i used to know how to check for packet loss in counter strike source but not in this game. but in cs it was pretty good.
  8. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Delete your pagefile.sys, reboot then defrag the hard drive(s). Check all your hard drives to make sure you don't have pagefile.sys (or however it's named). Then recreate your page file (not sure what OS you are using). Try to include a pagefile on the same drive you have your games on. See if that stops the problem.
  9. fireblade77

Thanks Received:
    i have both vista 32bit and xp 32bit but i get same problem on both and i use vista 32bit most of the time.
    what is pagefile.sys ?
    and where would i find it and how to do i make a new one :)
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  10. fireblade77

Thanks Received:
    could this be a sound card thing ?
    i have an x-fi fatality and i cant find a way of getting the game to work without sound to test.
    if i turn the sound off in device manager and try and start the game it wont start at all so does anyone know a way of testing the game with out any sound ?
    do i have to remove the sound card out of my pc and take all drivers off ?
  11. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    my money is on packet loss due to contention rates, your spec will muller the game which only leaves the isp, does it happen more at certain times of day? like loads in the evening and less in the middle of the night?

put
    into the console to see how your connection is, try
    if you want to monitor your fps too.
  12. fireblade77

Thanks Received:
    thx i will try that and see how my connection is but i hope its not that cos i live in a small village and i will be one of few people on the line (the contention ratio or something i think its 50-1) bt yahoo and i am very close to the exchange so i get a very good connection.
    i will report back with what i get off that lag check.
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    packet loss and poor game conectivity issues can also be solved by lowering your MTU and or decreasing the minimum window size to something like 128K. Vista tries to optomise the recieve window, so if it is large and the packets are smaller than the minimum size it holds up the whole data stream and might request a new set of packets as the original could be considered corrupt.
    10 Million points folded for TPU