• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can a 6800 be ok for a SAMSUNG 22inch ?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Anyone else got a problem with the ethics of this thread? it is effectively stealing. Do not reply to my comment if you do not want to.

I for one dont think this is a very good thing to promote either:shadedshu. We have had a few threads that werent so "ethically correct" but until they got heated in the opinions I think they were allowed to roll on!

how can a 4870 be shit you are completely stupid, i dont care if im flaming him hes clearly stolen from his work and then been a complete nvidia fanboy

a dual core pentium is shit so is a pentium 4, why even bother using them if your going to game?

get a core 2 board or wait for the new phenoms and the price of the i7 to drop

no way can a P4 bottle neck a 4870 then not bottle neck a gtx260 thats a LIE!

the cpu just cannot keep up with the gpu its impossible! then adding in a more powerfull gpu would slow things down even more

depends if your like playing it on a lower spec to compensate for your crap cpu coz thats what i think your doing

a 4870 when overclocked can take on a gtx 260 so i dunno what your on about

and if your work finds out they will be MAD you basically stole from work they bought the gpu and you decided to take it and trade it, they bought it you did not = theft

tnt23

System Name SOON TO BE UPGRADED...
Processor Dual core Intel Pentium D 940 Core speed 3.2 ghz
Motherboard P5WD2-E Premium
Cooling stock
Memory 2 gig
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 260 896 mb gddr3 448bit shader 4.0
Storage 1 Terra samsung 32 meg + too many offline:)
Display(s) SAMSUNG Syncmaster T220HD
Case THERMALTAKE EUREKA
Audio Device(s) M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496
Power Supply Seasonic SS-600HT 600 W
Software ULTIMATE XP SP3
wo:)

first of all the fact i took that shit from work is my problem and i got my reasons...i feel no guilty conscience at all and no need to adress them here...and even if the boss would find out he couldnt care less ... anyway if u dont like the thread feel free not to jump in...I do not promote theft, the point of my thread was just to ask a technical question...

so back to recent the subject here

MilkyWay u the one sounding stupid here, i never said 4870 was shit, all i said was that the difference with GTX 260(+30 euros) (on MY specs : Pentium D 940 Core speed 3.2 ghz and on THIS PARTICULAR GAME =>NBA2K9 ) were huge and that judging from MY experience i would never buy ATI again...is that a problem to U ?

"a dual core pentium is shit "
yeah maybe my cpu is shit...sorry i dont buy one every 6 months ! my rate is more 2-3 years...

"depends if your like playing it on a lower spec to compensate for your crap cpu coz thats what i think your doing"
=> i can assure u the only thing that change between the 4870 and GTX260 test on this pc is a brand new XP i installed last week!...i doubt this would be the reason

so let me break down

first of all the ASUS EAH 4870 1 gig wasnt OCed.. + it heated like crazy during gaming...people who own the same card can confirm this...

second i didnt have all MSAA settings that i now have with the nvidia card

i confirm i run everything at highest settings and get crazy fluidity at 1280x1024

im not NVIDIA fan boy...its just the first time i test ATi (because of some reviews that i read that said that for once ATI had nothing to envy NVIDIA's performance on this card that was cheaper...and yet i was dispointed compared to the so called NVIDIA equivalent...

if u still not convinced about GTX 260 :nutkick: 4870 maybe peep this review i found yesterday :

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1414&pageID=5839 they probably stupid too right ?

peace

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
well idk, but your problem has been solved, so let us end the flaiming yes :p and about your HD 4870 there would have to have been something wrong in your configurations to cause low FPS with it compared to your GTX 260, it mite have been shitty drivers for that game, cause at 1280x1024 that card can run basically every game max, and i agree though you shed information that the card came from work, its your business on what you do and if you say you have your reasons good enough for me. enjoy your GTX:toast:

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
how can a 4870 be shit you are completely stupid, i dont care if im flaming him hes clearly stolen from his work and then been a complete nvidia fanboy

a dual core pentium is shit so is a pentium 4, why even bother using them if your going to game?

wrong a dual core pentium is not shit, check your facts beforehand a dual core pentium is a core 2 based chip only with lower cache and are plenty find for gaming with, tell me a an e5200 is a shit proc??

get a core 2 board or wait for the new phenoms and the price of the i7 to drop

no way can a P4 bottle neck a 4870 then not bottle neck a gtx260 thats a LIE!

tbh theres very little bottlenecking going on, even tho its a 3 year old Pentium D its got 2 cores at 3.2ghz that are more than capable of keeping up with games even today despite what people say, and also at low res there is a clear distinction between a low end graphics card and a high end one. i am not saying the 4870 is a low end card, only he had had a very bad time with it, and it just goes to show his cpu wasnt the bottleneck, there was somthing else going on more than likely a driver issue or similar which caused the conflict which now isnt present with his nvidia card.

the cpu just cannot keep up with the gpu its impossible! then adding in a more powerfull gpu would slow things down even more

this is another misconception with gamers today, which is absolutely unfounded, any reasonably decent cpu can cope with all the games out today as they all depend on gpu power, not cpu power as most would have you think. the cpu is becoming less and less important when it comes to gaming and as long as you have a decent gpu then you have no worries playing games upto 1600x1200 anything more and yes you will need a decent cpu but you could call any of the core 2' line up decent, basically anything 2.4ghz and over there is no bottleneck including maybe an athlon x2 5000+ and above.

depends if your like playing it on a lower spec to compensate for your crap cpu coz thats what i think your doing

as mentioned above any dual core cpu doesnt have a problem with games, most of them are down to the gpu, not CPU. and even pentium D's can hold their own in games.

a 4870 when overclocked can take on a gtx 260 so i dunno what your on about

he didnt say it couldnt, nor suggested the gtx 260 was the better card, he simply stated the 4870 didnt perform that well compared to the GTX 260 in HIS system. im thinking this is down to a driver/software conflict but it was never implied it was a comparison between the HD 4870 and the GTX260 as it wasnt :toast:

and if your work finds out they will be MAD you basically stole from work they bought the gpu and you decided to take it and trade it, they bought it you did not = theft

if that was ur stance then you wouldnt have taken the time to read through this enture thread and then comment, and have you never downloaded anything off TPB or eatan some sweets from pick n mix before getting to the till ?? its funny how we all have our own ideas about morals. none of us are innocent afterall of anything, and thats a fact. and im in no way condoning theft from an employer :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

PuMA

Processor lapped C2D e6850, 3600mhz
Motherboard ASUS P5N32-E SLI (680i SLI)
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U9, 3 2x120mm 1x180mm case fans
Memory 6GB A-DATA vitesta DDR2 900mhz (2x1gb + 2x2gb)
Video Card(s) LEASTEK GTX 260 (701/1408/1105)
Storage SAMSUNG F1 640GB SATAII/SEAGATE 250gb SATAII
Display(s) SAMSUNG 226BW 1680x1050 2ms
Case ANTEC three hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX, SONY surround AMP
Power Supply XION 630W
Software VISTA ULTIMATE x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06:15126 (701/1408/1105) vantage: 11698
you can run a 22 inch with a 7250 PCI card just fine if you wanted to...

i was just pointing out that hes new pc most likely has a pci-e slot. and an agp 6800 wont fit on the new machine.

paulo7

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling standard atm
Video Card(s) 4870
Storage Samsung F1
Display(s) 24 inch ocuk value (ace4price)
Case Antec 900
Power Supply SilverStone Zeus ST65ZF 650w
anyone think he might just have a cool boss? He could be being treated awfully at work so thought I'll get one over on him? Im not condoning it I mean what happens if the 6800 breaks... up to him to take the risk.

Anyway in my exp having come from 8800gts 640 to a 4870 I found it be a lot more cpu needy got a lot more fps when i went up to close to 4Ghz but I cant comment on lower resolutions

tnt23

System Name SOON TO BE UPGRADED...
Processor Dual core Intel Pentium D 940 Core speed 3.2 ghz
Motherboard P5WD2-E Premium
Cooling stock
Memory 2 gig
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 260 896 mb gddr3 448bit shader 4.0
Storage 1 Terra samsung 32 meg + too many offline:)
Display(s) SAMSUNG Syncmaster T220HD
Case THERMALTAKE EUREKA
Audio Device(s) M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496
Power Supply Seasonic SS-600HT 600 W
Software ULTIMATE XP SP3
this 6800 is brand new was never used...

and if it breaks i got a second used one;)