• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I use MSI Gaming App OC profile in Afterburner and uninstall Gaming App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoutTime

Hello all,
I bought an MSI GTX 760 TF OC Gaming Edition GPU last week. Unfortunately the OC isn't programmed into the BIOS and to get the highest Factory OC I need to use the MSI Gaming App. The problem is it does not start with Windows or remember your last Clock Selection.
I know Afterburner can start with Windows and apply your last selected profile.

So can I......

1. Open Gaming App and select OC.
Open GPU-Z and see how much the Clock Speed has increased.
Restore the default Clock (Gaming).
Open Afterburner and apply the same increase to the clock value as the Gaming App gave me.
Save the profile.
Tick the 'Start with Windows' box.
Uninstall the Gaming App.

2. Will the above effectively apply the same OC as the gaming App and therfore make the Gaming App obsolete?

3. Also I've read on some forums that Afterburner will only OC the MSI card if the gaming App is installed. I'm away from home so cannot test any of this. Maybe this was the case with the original version of the gaming app. can anyone confirm?

4. Also I've read people reporting that once the OC has been applied it is locked at this high clock and doesn't downclock when idle. From what I've seen the Gaming App does downclock depending on GPU demand. As does Afterburner. Can anyone confirm?

I don't know why MSI did things this way. It's a Gaming Edition card so there should be a way of applying the factory OC and leaving it set that way. The Gaming App is a nice simple little tool but as a bare minimum they should let us start it with Windows and automatically apply the last selected Clock profile.

Dragging the shortcut into the start-up folder doesn't work for me. And even if it did, the last profile selection is not remembered.

Many thanks in advance,

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
MSI GAMING APP is all that is needed, software-wise.

But for hardware, you need both VGA and board to be MSI-brand, or it doesn't work.

I did just test this with my GTX780 GAMING, on MSI Z97 MPOWER, works perfectly.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Closed as multi threads started on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.