1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can ubuntu play games?

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by i nEeD HeLp, Sep 21, 2009.

1. i nEeD HeLp New Member

Thanks Received:
    as the title says. can it? im talking new games, not old ones like mario and stuff. read a few posts elsewhere and they said it cant without wine

need to kno thanks.

2. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure you are going to have to use WINE if you want to play any windows/mac based games.

i nEeD HeLp says thanks.
  3. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    im pretty sure no new games work out of the box for linux

i nEeD HeLp says thanks.
  4. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    for most games thats the true except for WOW and id software games. And i think some valve games also run on linux without wine.

i nEeD HeLp says thanks.
  5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    No, not stock. If you use WINE, you can play OpenGL games easy enough. Anything with the Doom 3 engine does great.

i nEeD HeLp says thanks.
  6. i nEeD HeLp New Member

Thanks Received:
    k thanks guys for the quick responses

7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Like others have said, only OpenGL. Microsoft has a monopoly over DirectX so if you want to play the majority of games out there you're going to need a microsoft OS

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. parelem

parelem

Thanks Received:
    TransGaming's Cedega software is a great emulator for games, however, it's not free. $45 a year.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its Cedega not Cadega :laugh:

parelem says thanks.
  10. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Actually there are special release versions for Linux and some game that will work with it...very, very few. Never Winter Nights 1 comes to mind.

Wine will work and it is free....just a bit of a pain in the arse to get up and running though.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Same with unreal tournaments. IDK if they bothered UT3 but i know that for some of the others they released a linux version..if own the windows ed. you can download the files from their web site and it will get it running...pretty good too i play on some of my linux machines all the time without wine because of this.

12. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    It's really not that hard to get working you just need to find "which restricted driver and apps to enable from the repositories" and then it's not all that great and you are still very limited as to what you can play, plus you have to seek out quite a few proprietary DLL's for WINE and then install them correctly LOL EASY LOL

13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Nah, you can get DirectX games to work, more or less.. Not all games work, and it might take a lot of work to get them to run at all.

14. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    I play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on Linux exclusively (and often). IMHO, that is the best, free game of all time (with FEAR: Combat in a close second).

As for wine, it does seem to do a good job with OpenGL games. But it also does well with some older DirectX games. For example, I play Halo 1 via Wine all the time without a problem. My 4870 lets me run at 2048x1152 everything maxed out with no framerate issues. Although, don't expect Crysis to work via Wine.

15. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i actually just tried out wine on my ubuntu build, some games work ok, but idk, it just seems foreign and so back to win7 i go. personally i use linux for what i feel it's meant for, servers, networking, and security. Games go to windows and being a fan of spending a lot of money for very little goes to mac owners... just my opinion though.

16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    well yea if you play games and overclock then stick with microsoft. linux makes a great desktop OS tho and does everything Windows can do for free EXCEPT play games.

17. coodiggy

Thanks Received:
    PC CD-ROM set for ut2004 has the linux installer, I don't think they included the linux installer on the DVD set.

18. Th0rn0

Th0rn0 New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, but it also depends on which game you want to play. I think you should definitely check the WINE database for which game can be played on WINE and their performances on different versions. Just use WINE, it is not that hard to setup, just go to the file repository and point click to install. One last word, most OpenGL game performs better in Linux than Windows.

20. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    yeah and i'm sure you will love both of them:laugh: that was a smart remark directed towards developers.......You can also play most Source games(HL2 etc..) with "wine' but you take a major hit on performance until you understand what really needs to be added to "wine", for me it took about 3 weeks to get games to play almost as good as XP, and that's what those "pay" programs(listed in a post above this one) do for you......and don't forget you have to update quite a few DLL's for just about every game you want to play

21. SneakySnake

SneakySnake New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know that UT3 is confirmed as coming to Linux, but its not out yet

22. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Don't waste your time, just boot into Windows for games. It's pointless to spend so much time migrating to Linux and then spend more time to make Windows games run on it.

23. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    My conclusion as well

24. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:

No. It isn't. It is almost two years late, with no news. You know the term "Epic fail"? Well, that term came from Epic's promise of Linux/Mac support for UT3 way back when. Now, they have failed both platforms. There is no sign that it is still being worked on. In fact, Ryan Gordon (the guy who was supposed to do the porting), actually removed the UT3 client from his resume online.

25. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you cant be serious to think that games that designed for windows to work in linux with 100% performance. How many games have been designed for linux?? as far as I know, none, perhaps only doom3 and quake 4 have linux native installers. so in that perspective, WINE has done a lot to help people to run their windows applications (yes, that includes all the games and everything else) People should be glad that WINE doesnt work as good as windows itself, or they are getting their butt sued by Bill Gates :D