1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant install Windows XP Professional, after Hardware problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rcp1071, Feb 8, 2006.

1. rcp1071 New Member

Thanks Received:
    owned
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its a hardware fault.. try re-seating all your bits and bobs.. if that dsont work try taking some out of the link.. if u have any spare parts that will fit try those.. it comes down to a proccess of elimination to find out which part is causing the problem..

no quick fix solution sorry..

trog
  3. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless it smells like burnt popcorn lol. My stupid Aspire PSU.

I agree with trog that is the easiest way. Now as for what i think it is its prob either u fried the processor while installin (prob not) or windows messed up when it was installin itself.But do what trog said first then if all else fails just reinstall windows.

Another thing you can do is install windows using a different machine. ie take hard drive out put it as primary in another comp start it up if windows starts its somethin with your pc if not reinstall in that comp and put it back in your comp. Then if it still doesnt work you need to find out what part is bad. This helps to avoid the problem of a bad cd drive in your camp too as i had to do this before because of a bad cd drive.
  4. mex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it proberly would have been wize to try using "Last known Good Configeration" or RCA (Recovery Console) before jumping in there with a new install. sounds like your MBR or NTLDR file has gone belly up!! This file is very easy to repair and will have no long term effects if fixed.

Your problem now is that without a good Master Boot Record windows will just confuse itself.
    Make a Xp boot disk. You can dowload this or take it from the CD.

From here you need to make a new active partition but first removing what is there and creating another NTFS partion.

After your boot disk is booted you to the c:\ the type fdisk and follow the instructions.

Then restart the computer and boot from the disk again and type format c:\ and do that.

Once you have finished put the XP cd in and boot from that and your problem is solved!

let us know how it goes?