1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB][US] Car Audio (AMP and Speakers) maybe stereo

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by sotelomichael, Oct 17, 2008.

1. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    kewl, I will use my new multi-tester (garage sale 1 buck!) and also show the cars built in v meter.:)

2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Ouch! All due to faulty a ground?

3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the vibration caused the bolt to back out of a ground strap. I had other problems like the rear view mirror would never stay put, your heart would skip beats, nausea and disorentation. Good stuff.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Aww I remember those days...

Single kicker Zr600
    4x MTX Thunder 6000 12's in ported boxes, tuned to 41hz

180amp alternator, 16 volt batteries, 0 awg cables with reducers :(

In an extended cab Ford Ranger...... Boxes filled the entire ext cab part...
    Ohh man that was sweet, up until the point the rear side windows broke :(

I almost miss getting out of cars dizzy and falling over, tunnel vision... Nothing like 150db to keep your mind on track.

5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I dumped pressure with my three pass design, but it was loud enough. We tried it in a ford bronco and it was too loud. Muffled by the back seat it was just right for bumping and letting everyone know I was home. I put it in my celi, I got a headache after about 5 minutes and had to turn the amp down.

6. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    Use some locktight to hold the bolt in place.

Edit: Also sotelomichael I hope you know that car audio runs negative to positive. So make sure you ground strap is either the
    same gauge as your positive line or a heavier gauge. Just a good heads up so you don't burn stuff out.

sotelomichael says thanks.
  7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I ran a ground to the battery and added a cap to the equasion using hte old ground and a locknut, it woud still dim the headlights.

9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    ur all on crack! I had a 250 watt system that made my hair move... Its all about efficiency. (I would love to see what 20+V does to your computer, lights, ignition etc lol)

A good pair of separates in the front and a 12 in the trunk with a good 4 channel amp with 3 and 4 bridged to run the mono sub is plenty.

Here is a cool place for deals
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

This is a very clean set for the fronts
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13545
    (notice the sensitivity rating, try to get 90 or above)

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Efficency is the sub box I built with two 5 1/4" Boston Acoustics. Line powser that was also running two 6X9's in a friends pickup, fit under the back bench seat on one side, would rattle everything and put my Bose Acoustamass to shame. I drove it with my 600W amp in the celi for awhile and it finally gave up the smoke, it caught on fire as the power being pushed through the coils caused them to melt the coating and ignite the poly driver. Active linear dampining can make this happen for your too. :D

11. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    lol.. smoke/fire = Bad

I like the head unit you chose sotelomichael I looked at them till I saw the Preouts were 2V.(my Panasonic Ghost uses 5V) The USB plug in the front is very nice.

LOL, a fuse in the front wont do you any good once the sub box is burning..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Especially driving in to work. The drove untill the poly gave and then all I heard was the rattling of the coils for a second then they burned out. Then the smoke started to get out of the box. I let it sit out for a half hour before I threw it away, but I looked inside with a mirror first.

13. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    That simple setup does make a pretty solid sounding system for pure listening.

I had a system setup at 18 volts years back, you have to separate the electrical systems obviously :)

I watched a guy make the wonderful mistake of trying to run his entire car off 16 volts, that lasted real long...... Another guy with tons of neon left it all turned on with a battery charger plugged in, 18 volts popped all that neon real fast...

Currently myself in my DD, '02 Grand AM, I have a set of 6.5" components in the front doors on 75 watts each, with my 4 10" subs in .72 cuft sealed boxes, system sounds purely amazing as long as your in the front seat.

14. sotelomichael

sotelomichael

Thanks Received:
    Now this is something I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone who is posting, not only am I learning from what you are posting, the PMs I'm getting about different equipment are great! keep them coming!

Thanks :D I'm waiting on it from bigbuycity lol. Also, I like the speakers you linked me to, from what I've read MB quart is one of the quality brands people have been recommending. And some speakers like that would fit the bill :D

On a side note, I picked up a good set of "ICW racing" rims off of my local craigslist, payed 4 bills for the rims and pirelli tires with 90% thread left. Good deal! EXCEPT the stupid "Universal" 4 lug design doesn't fit my 4 lug pattern on the 06 sentra 1.8s :cry: So now they are going back on CL and hopefully I sell them quick to focus more on getting an alarm/sound system. :D BTW here's a link to the wheels except mine are silverish/aluminum instead of grayish/gunmetal

15. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    those are a thing of beauty, too bad they didnt fit... ( I would have re drilled the flanges on the car, lol)
    Now a days I am happy to have 4 matching tires.. cool rims are just a distant memory.

look for a 3 channel amp (4 channel where 2 of the channels bridge to mono) Good amps make more power when the channels bridge and are able to push lower loads than 4 ohms (If an amp is stable in 2ohms its a keeper)

Try to dig up a 12 that is efficient as well and ur on ur way.

Something like this should give the wife enough of a headache
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17686

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13574
    because you are using 1 channel of the amp bridged that should push this pretty good

16. sotelomichael

sotelomichael

Thanks Received:
    lol, come on Mark, you can bling out other people's computers but you wont bling out your ride? :p And yes, when I found out they didn't fit, needless to say :eek: :banghead: :cry::shadedshu :eek: so now I learned my lesson to trust that there always be a company out there trying to make you spend more on their "specialty" products because they wont conform to a "universal standard" :rolleyes:

17. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I was nutts for that 20 years ago...(the bling thing) I used high silver content Kimber cable for my speaker wire in my car (was like $25 a foot in 1986) I had a 50 watt class a amp just to run my tweeters (like $400) and only used ADS 320Is and Kef tweeters.(dont even get me started on how I gid a frame up resto on my 66 Chevelle SS before the stereo went in. (dam those were the good ol days)
    But as I get older priorities change (food/rent is way more important now than before)

EDIT:
    when I saw what you said about a clean looking head unit it made me smile.. Here is mine (0 buttons)
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sh...e&active=1&ModelNo=CQ-HX2083U&CategoryId=2474
    I got mine off Ebay for $125 a few years ago, still works well. But when I saw that Sony with the USB slot I almost switched over..

18. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Nice sub, but I would pick the new premium honestly, it doesn't require a 2+ cuft box to sound good. I sent you the link earlier in pm.

As for the amp, it's not a bad one but if you can reach the few extra bucks-
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17532

Not quite as good as the Xenon or Titanium amps, but really nice!