• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CCFL high voltage/frequency lines inducing voltage on fan power wires

Just a word to the wise, do not run 12v fan power lines in the same wire sleeve as the highvoltage/frequency lines for a ccfl = inductance on the 12volt lines and interesting boost in fan speed... I wonder if it feeds back into the PSU as well.. any recommendations testing and monitoring the crosstalk voltage? what are good sheilding solutions to prevent the inductance on the fan power wires, so that I can use the same wire sleeve to hide the fan wires and the CCFL wires? Maybe a certain twists per inch ratio on the fan power wires?

OK, I thought of hooking my Ameter up to the fan power wire while it's disconnected from the 12volt source, then turn on the CCFL and look for any swing... Thankfully the pair of wires were just held together with zip ties, individually sleeved, so I can move the fan power wire away from the CCFL wire and not worry about shielding the fan power wire.. I do need to get some rounded sheilded ATA cables though cause the CCFL transformer and bzzt lines go near one of the drive data cables...... DOH!!!

Some more info about this.. I'm not able to relocate the fan power wire away from the CCFL lamp wire, without the install looking like spagetti. The CCFL lamp is mounted to the fan "round one", so I need to add shielding to the fan power wires and other power/ground wires that are located near/around the CCFL lamp, it's wires and the CCFL transformer. One of my CCFL transformers is mounted near the hard drive cage. The side of the HDD with the data cable sits about 1/2" away from the CCFL transformer.. I'm wondering if a small amount of electrically insulated tape backed with foil layed between the drive/cable, and the CCFL transformer would be enough to shield the drive and data cable against RF/EMI from the CCFL transformer.. Any any suggestions about shielding would be appreciated, keep in mind that I can't relocate the transformer or the drive.