1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Chalk one up for TPU...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by markkleb, Jul 14, 2006.

1. markkleb Guest

I won the Ultra Mod contest. And wanted to say thanks to TPU for the inspiration. If it wasent for the Case Gallery I wouldnt have started this...

Also a big thanks to all that took the time to give their 2 cents in the Work logs..
  2. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    :toast:
    Nice, going to participate in their next contest?, and what are you planning to buy?
    Keep up the good work
    :rockout:
  3. markkleb Guest

More Cases, of course....lol
  4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    No doubt, got inspirations to do it better here from folks examples & some ideas too

See subject-line/title above:

Good deal - I was personally amazed @ the sheer # of computers you put together... how do you do that, I have to ask?

Do you own a PC shop or something, that you have so many systems??

(IIRC, you do have many you have done, w/ custom cases etc.)

You & I both - the systems in the Case Gallery were inspiring to myself as well!

In fact, my systems took a "radical design turn" from being messes inside after seeing the ones here in the forums case galleries!

E.G. -> An old P3 1.2ghz duallie I had here (note interior mess):

[​IMG]

To this lastest system in my sig (note, much neater - needs SOME work still (fan grills on CPU + rear exhaust fanblades, dusting older fans in it on their blades, + cathode lights (2 imo top & bottom): STILL, far neater than the one pictured above):

[​IMG]

:)

* BIG CHANGE, due to inspirations & seeing how it can & should be done on case interiors, from the others @ these forums, got good/better ideas here in some ways... thanks from myself as well!

APK
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  5. markkleb Guest

In a word Alec, Recycle...

Oh yes, shopping for deals. The case was $49 and the PS was $9.99.(thanks RadioShack)

And no shop, just time on my hands and a love of building things...
  6. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    ?

Man, I know I am a bit "off" today (went out w/ pals & some ladies late last night & had great time "after hours" @ one of their homes (after party after huge local rock festival party each Thurs. around here on a lakeshore & amphitheater)), but...

* Heh - I don't "get it"...

APK

P.S.=> You mean recycling your parts, right? Machine-to-machine etc. ... apk
  7. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast: Congrats Mark!!! So what's the theme for the next project, or do you need some ideas ? :D
  8. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    So where you from Alec?
  9. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    RECYCLE? NO PROBLEM (look closely @ photo toward lower mid/right, lol)

See subject-line/title (bit of "nerdy humor" in it, lol), & new photo below:

[​IMG]

* VERY "Mac-Like" trashcan there - every PC should have one!

APK

P.S.=> Now, that's a "RECYCLING BIN"... since you mentioned the word "RECYCLE" mark, lol!

Syracuse, N.Y. (center of N.Y. State U.S.A.) currently (but, I travel a LOT each year, and only really spend summers here as it is my "real" home grounds)... apk
  10. markkleb Guest

See the "most INSANE comp ever" work log. I need to finish the fishtank this weekend. Next week start on the INSANE one.

Also I had a idea of building custom cases for people. Basically you say what Hardware you have and cooling and I build a case to fit it. That way you can get a custom comp and all you have to do is assemble it.

I have millions of ideas but I really enjoy hearing yours too..It was BigD's(drew) who came up with cutting out the ULTRA letters..
  11. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Wait...what's that little pack of silica gel doing at the bottom of your case? Does it actually have a use? :laugh:.
  12. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    No doubt! I love this forum. Inspired lots of good stuff in my case, too. :)

Edit: That silica gel keeps humidity down, am I right?
  13. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    &

Pretty much what demon stated... what little it can help there, it is used for that purpose!

* I for one, never thought excessive humidity did anyone OR anything any good in electronics, lol... so I try to keep it down using "ghetto-methods" like that one!

(You guys would have LOVED my first cooling system - cheap & TONS of "CFM", via a K-mart box fan ($20) put right up to the side of my open case (on older Dual CPU Pentium I 233mmx system I ran circa 1997 or thereabouts)).

APK

P.S.=> I am NOT "above" using 'sanford & son' type methods, as long as they do work (even a little bit) provided they don't cost TOO much! apk
  14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I personally think you should consider flipping over the Heatsink. Heatpipes work on sublimation and I think it makes more sense to be the other way around so the gas can rise

Attached Files:

15. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    See, how do you do those thumbnails with the pictures? Notice the difference between this and the picture that Alec posted (huge). Mine come out giant when I post them, how do I get them up as thumbnails???
  16. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, point-taken, absolutely!

I thought I did that, the way I mounted mine though (see photos last page)... this is assuming you are talking to me, & not the post starter!

(If you look @ the photo of my rig on the last page, HUGE ONE, so you get GOOD DETAILED VIEW (near lifesize) - the pipes for phase-change of the liquid to gas DO heat the liquid on the CPU, & it rises in gas form into the heatpipes thru the cooling fins & fan blowing over them, changing it back to liquid once more flowing over the CPU surface contact interface event horizon area).

* Not sure if it WILL mount that way though anyhow, if you feel I had it wrong... honestly!

APK

P.S.=> I am however, admittedly, a "big fan" of using the properties of physics inherent in terms of heated gases/liquids rising & using their natural tendencies in the capacity you mention, since it makes absolute sense!

(I was doing the whole "heat rises" thing in all my air cooled rigs years ago because of this principal you mention in fact in "convection currents", years before it became mainstream opinion (even using cigarette smoke to trace the airflow in my rigs))

Just good common sense really (take in cold air in the bottom, & exhaust it thru the top) & by far from "original thought", imo it works or @ least helps (because your fans stir stuff up inside, you can't look @ it purely this way imo though, @ least in the case internals)... apk
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I want benchmarks :laugh:. I suppose all the packages of silica gel I get with every hard drive is a good clue lol. I'll probably put them in sometime this weekend, assuming I can find them (I might have sold them to markkleb :p.), but I doubt they'll do anything. Tons of airflow, hot room usually, and I tend to stay off the computer during the day. So I dunno, maybe I won't put them in :D.
  18. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Congrats.. Glad I could be a part of it, and Im glad you said that I helped, Means alot.
  19. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    thank Poge he passed the word to vote for you ... :toast: Congrats