• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloud storage (aka Onedrive will suck so need to find something else)

akira

Could be worth looking into the cloud servers from 1&1, I've used them before and been satisfied :pimp:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I got so tired of this I dropped it for a bit there, but thanks for the discussion!

Google drive sounds perfect tbh....

Is this primarily for backup purposes?

If so a NAS syncing to AWS S3 is probably the cheapest option. Dropbox uses S3 as it's storage back-end and AWS have it synchronising all over the world for true resiliency. You can also setup retention policies to auto-archive content into Glacier and save even further, just bear in mind glacier has a lead time before you can access anything. It also supports versioning and all sorts of cool things. It will end up much cheaper than Google's Compute engine, however you will need to either address it with API calls or an application. S3 browser is a great free tool. Also Synology have in-built applications for this kind of thing.

You may even be able to setup something like multcloud as the front-end.

That the files are backed up (that sounds so wrong) is just a bonus, it's mainly a dumping ground for stuff I want/need access to in various places, and sharing large files (mainly proper Windows .isos to relatives). I do have hardware lying around, I could make a decent fileserver, but the main problem is where I would put it. I live in a single room apartment (the kitchen is seperate and huge though) and I can't think of a place where it wouldn't annoy me. Except for some cupboard in the kitchen (which contains mostly electronics and computers anyway :(), but then I'd have to have cat6 running there and I have grown so incredibly tired of all cables. :( Wireless would probably be out as if I did this it would serve as local storage as well, so I'd need it to be wired. In short, anything requiring a machine running 24/7 is probably out. For now anyway, if I can afford to build a fanless system it might be interesting, but right now it would probably be an old Dell tower or something, requiring active cooling.

Anyway, they seem to have backtracked a bit. I get to keep my 30GB's and that should be enough. I am tempted to get the subscription anyway just to give me room to expand, but I'll probably make do with 30GB. For now anyway. If I need serious space I will probably do some sort of server/NAS.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore