1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Build, Any Advice Welcome

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by crinagerulz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys i have recently done a build -shown in system specs- i was just wondering on your opinions of the build, if you believe it is good or bad. Also if you have any suggestions for upgrades that would increase my FPS and quality in gameplay...At an affordable price of course :D then please feel welcome to suggest some components (please bear in mind i would like to stay AMD as i am not a fan of the cost for intel boards and CPU, I know im a stingy person :p)

Thanks in advance for any of your help.
  2. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    intel and c2d doesnt have to be too costly :D you could easily have bought a e21xx processor for around $70-$80, p35 mobo for $80-90, arctic freezer 7 hsf for $20, and easily oc to 3ghz. seeing how your gaming on a huge tv/monitor sli will probably help on the fps and gaming quality. otherwise your alright for now.
    crinagerulz says thanks.
  3. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, yer haha its a nice monitor to play on :p
    Thankyou very much anyways for your quick reply! and hmm i suppose just i've always been a AMD man myself aha hard to change your habbits really!

I was thinking of Sli obviously buying another 8800GT, but my Mobo reduces to 8x when in SLi would that make any noticable effect?
  4. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes. your gaming performance should increase. :D
  5. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    awesome thankyou very much ^^ i'll have a look into saving up for another GT, in the meen time would u say theres any need for another 2GB of RAM? if i load up vista when SP1 is released?
  6. nguyenpeter76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2gb is the minimum recommendation for vista. depending on what you use your computer for, 2gb should be fine. but if you opt to get 2 more gb of ram then make sure you get the 64bit os because the 32bit can only read 3-3.5gb of ram.
  7. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    PAE,
    is that cpu an x2 or no?
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Of course it's an X2.
    I think it's a really great build, and that processor should make it to 3.2 easy. 230x14 = 3220, and 3320/7 (7 is your memory divider) = DDR920. Drop the memory to a high divider first so it runs slow then keep feeding the processor unitl it is stable. Remember to drop the HTT to 4x. Then do the same for the ram (using the 7 divider). I highly reccomend picking up an Arctic Freezer 64 pro.

After that it's pretty much smooth sailing. SLI the 8800's, then overclock those individually. After you find good stable clocks, use nvflash to get your BIOSes off the cards, edit them to those clocks, and flash them so you don't have to worry about it.
    crinagerulz says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    how much did you pay out for that screen o_O'
  10. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice rig; don't taint it with the slowness of Windows ME... I mean Vista, lol.
  11. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks for all your replies guys, also the above advice is awesome i was wondering if there was any need to OC and how i should go about it!! but one niggle i have is will this make any effect on the life of the components??

Also skrabrug i got the screen for free :p didnt pay a penny, i get 'free' HD tv's about every few months from work. i currently own 3 40" HD Tv's and 2x 32" HD Tv's
  12. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    dang how much are you willing to sell one for?
  13. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    lmao well tbh, the samsung im using at the current moment for my monitor is worth £1790 :p or around that on amazon. I've never really looked into selling them tbh!! should start :p
  14. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I would say if you can get ahold of a wolfdale 8400, OC it to 4ghz with a zalman, grab some ocz 2x2gb@ddr3 (10500), grab a 3870x2 for $390-470(heard there was someplace selling it for 390), raid-0 2 raptor 75gb, get vista(i know it sucks, but we must switch to dx10.1 sometime no matter how much it hurts), get 1tb hitachi for media storage, and you should be good to go. Want to go really cheap tho? AMD has the best performance per buck, and the new 9600 is cheap for the bang, and has a good future as the new drivers come out. You can get 2x1gb 1066mhz ram at newegg.com for $50, and just grab about 250-500gb storage for 100-150. Just remember that to actually produce these cards is really cheap, to actually come out of the factory an 8800 ultra would cost them probably a good 20 dollars to produce physically, what you are really paying for is technology, and as technology moves forward, the slightly older technology goes down exponentially. Look for some old core 2 duo, you can find some for 60 dollars, and still overclock them to 3.0GHZ, omfgwtf? talk to these guys about overclocking though, other than software overclocking, im no expert.
  15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Also, DCLCD is letting monitors go at 24 inch 1080p for just above 300 dollars, i would check that out Scrizz. To me, the largest monitor you can actually sit in front of and play, like you usually would on a computer, is 24, maybe 26 inch, otherwise you would have to sit away from it. LCD monitors in the market is getting much more competitive, I would suggest looking at that market.
  16. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    ner i have it in the bedroom mate, i lie on my bed and use it. i dont sit at a desk, its far more comfortable :p
  17. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    for real, laying in bed
  18. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I actually switch between the two at school. My computer's under the bed, desk is next to the bed, and I just move my mouse and keyboard and swivel the monitor when I'm (or myself and another are) in bed. It's great watching movies on my 21.6" LCD.
  19. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I love your rig. I don't know about anyone else, but anything above a 4600+ on the AMD side of things is plenty fast enough for what you have.

Only downfall I see, not 4GB ram. But hey, you can always pickup another 2 sticks later, right?

How much was the M2N-e?
  20. crinagerulz

crinagerulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks guys for all your imput!!! and i have to agree i have my console/DVD/VCR (i know old school :p) and even have my stereo plugged in to both my computer and TV!! its a sweet setup for chilling alone and with others aswell as having a 40" HD tv for movies :p

Yer i will be looking into buying another 2Gb of ram!! just depends on when i get the money for it!!! My M2N-E SLi cost me £52 which was nice for me as it was budget build at £400 so its all worked out!! i'm glad for the input into a better build and also glad at the good comments on the current build! Thanks guys!
  21. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Thats not a bad build you have made bro...

A couple of very cheap things you can do is:

1. Grab an aftermarket cooler for that cpu, maybe a freezer 64. they are cheap and perform really well. Even if you don't want to oc just do it for the silence and lower temps.

2.. That ram you have should easily be able to do 4,4,4,12 @ 800. And quite possibly higher. There are quite a few guides and junkies on here that can help you out with that if need be

3. You could go for another GT later on but seems your tv is only 1366 x 768 res then 1 GT should have no probs running that.

That cpu you have should be able to reach 3ghz min with a little oc on it. That combined with tighter times on the ram and you should see quite an increase...

Good luck with it
  22. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    So, are you going to sell?