1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer freezing/rebooting when inserting USB devices

Discussion in 'General Software' started by cctaylor88, Mar 4, 2013.

1. cctaylor88 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just about 90% of the time when I plug in a USB device (external HD, ipod, etc) my computer will just lock up...can't move mouse, can't even control alt delete...nothing so of course I'm forced to reboot.

I haven't found many solutions except the one Linked Here. So I make the notepad dialog and add it to the registry, but then the second step is to "Unplug ALL usb devices" and proceed to Device Manager to "Uninstall all devices under USB controllers" well both my mouse and keyboard are USB devices, so obviously if I unplug them nothing works, so I just attempt to uninstall what I can and of course eventually it uninstalls the drivers for my mouse and keyboard therefore rendering them useless... I have no idea what to do but this is extremely annoying and I refuse to accept it. I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB 3
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
    12GB Ram
    All "important updates" are installed (windows update) but I know this isn't the problem because I had about 25 to install for months now and never had these USB errors.

Obviously I'd like to avoid doing a clean install of my OS but if that's what I have to do Ill do it.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Do you have your mobo USB drivers installed.
    2. Have you verified Windows integrity?
    3. In the event viewer what error comes up right before the "Kernel Power Error". Whats the faulting module?
    4. Is your Anti-Virus up to date and scanning removable drives?
  3. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    That sounds more like an electrical problem. The lockup occurs regardless of which USB port you insert the thumb drive into?
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    turn off boot via USB. this used to be a problem for me once,
    also make sure your usb driver is uptodate. also make sure your system is free of malware and viruses.