• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer locks up when installing a video card

jeremaja

Just bought ASUS P5K motherboard and put my old HIS ICEQII RADEON X800GTO TURBO 256MEG PCI EXPRESS Video Card in. What happens is after I put the install cd in and click on install driver icon for the video card the computer locks up. Can't even move the mouse, just frozen screen. And it happens every time. The Video Card works fine with the old motherboard.
Any help more than helpfull.

D

Deleted member 24505

Try downloading the newest ati driver,the one on the disk is probably quite old.Does it work fine on windows before you try installing the driver?

Namslas90

Make sure the card is in the Blue slot. Check the LED slot indicators for error codes(compare to list in section 2.5.7, page 23 of manual). In Bios check PCI-E frequency setting to "auto". PCI-E "spread spectrum" to "auto". PCIE to "enabled". Check IRQ assignments for conflicts.

:toast:

Last edited:
System Name Jezebelle
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z97M-G43
Cooling Noctua NH-U12
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 Ti
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB, Sammy 1TB F3
Display(s) BenQ Xl2411Z
Case Fractal Define Mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 7.1 HD, does the job!
Power Supply Enermax Infiniti 720W
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Winblows 10 Pro
Chipset drivers up to date?

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
boot into save mode see what happens. If you can boot you have a driver issue that should be easy.

System Name Jezebelle
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z97M-G43
Cooling Noctua NH-U12
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 Ti
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB, Sammy 1TB F3
Display(s) BenQ Xl2411Z
Case Fractal Define Mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 7.1 HD, does the job!
Power Supply Enermax Infiniti 720W
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Winblows 10 Pro
Have you tried vga mode successfully? Did you previously have an Nvidia display adaptor? Have you run CCleaner and done exactly as it says to do? I SERIOUSLY recommend that course of action :D

jeremaja

Thanks for the input. I'll try to download a new driver and see what happens, in the meantime I'll try a few other things. Like to experiment. It works fine in windows by deafault win driver.
The card is in the blue slot and the LED is dead dark. BTW I think even without that if it didn't sit properly, it wouldn't work at all. Didn't have an Nvidia display adaptor previously and VGA mode tried before. With CCleaner would say not relevant as win xp 2 is fresh and only installed the mb drivers. In proces of updating to the latest, so will see what happens.

Will let u know what happens :rockout:

jeremaja

And again. Updated all, but the problem is still there. Bios too. Also put WIN XP again without MB drivers. So except the WIN XP, nothing else was in, and it still happens. As soon as I click to install the video drivers, that's it. The screen frozen, and restart is the only option. It's all a bit strange since MB and Video Card should be compatible. IRQ assignments look fine. But just in case I have a taken a snapshot. The only other thing might be the MB needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 469

jeremaja

Finally

It was the memory problem, or rather voltage as my OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 GOLD EDITION is running at 1.9 Volts and I need 1.8 Volts. Thought to fiddle with OCZ overclocking before buying a new memory, but it came sooner than expected. So now it's Kingston with 1.8 Volts. :toast: