• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer says noooo...

Kymberly_S

Hello.. :)

I have a desktop that for some reason just stopped working (not my husbands or any of the others I have talked about here.. at least I don't think so anyway)

I tried all the troubleshooting ideas from other computer posts I have received in this forum for the other computers.. (don't worry.. won't let husband near it lol)

A black screen would come up with the selection of: go to last known configuration.. Safe mode.. etc.. nothing worked. Not hitting F8.. nothing.

Soooo. I have slaved it up the the only desktop that is functioning in the household and the computer has picked it up but when I go into 'My Computer' and click on the icon.. A window appears saying the hard drive is not formatted and do I want to format it now.. Of course I don't because it is/was formatted and worked fine in the other computer.. until it stopped working one day..

There are a lot of family photos and videos on here that I don't want lost..

What should I do??

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thats usually a kernel error... bad HDD might of caused it... you sure your husband hasn't hit this PC either? :roll:

Anyway... Reinstall the OS on that drive, see if it works. (wait for others to post and issue their opinion first though, I could be wrong as there are so many failure points on a PC)

Fly

Kymberly_S

If I reinstall the OS on the HDD.. won't that delete all the data that I am trying to retrieve?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
yes it will, i believe you want to ask members for recovery software options...freeware Im assuming, but I have not used any so please wait for better answers before writing a new OS to that drive.

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
yes it will, i believe you want to ask members for recovery software options...freeware Im assuming, but I have not used any so please wait for better answers before writing a new OS to that drive.

You can choose to repair the installation if Windows setup detects it.

Kymberly_S

ok.. I'm a little confused (doesn't take much).

I wouldn't have thought I needed recovery software as there was nothing wrong with the HDD until the computer stopped working?

When this has happened in the past (a couple of times over the past 10 years, not necessarily the same computer) I have slaved up the hard drive to another computer, sent all data to an external memory, re installed os and then transferred all data back.. no worries.

So, I have slaved up the hard drive but the desk top computer I have it slaved up to is saying the disk needs formatting? How could it need formatting if it is formatted and it has all our family stuff on it? Photos, videos etc?

Usually when I do this the computer picks it up as another drive and I am able to view and retrieve all data no worries.

Thanks

Kymberly_S

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread except:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY&NR=1

Coincidence? I think not!

lol... I love this show!

If I choose to repair the installation if Windows setup detects it, do you mean put the hard drive back in the original computer?

(hope I am not confusing too many people.. but, can you please read the post above also)

Last edited:

Kymberly_S

I wonder if my questions have become confusing so I am going to attempt to clear it up in this post.

Thank you all for hanging in there with me.

I have a cheap desktop that my son and daughter were using. It is not the coolest, but it was functional and had all their photos and videos on it. They also had access to the net so all was hunky dory.

One day my son (adult) started the computer but it didn't load. It just went to the black screen where options are listed for the user to choose.
last known working configuration
safe mode
etc etc

I chose each one, none worked, only returning to the black screen with the selections.

I also tried F8 and that didn't work.

I have had a few computers to fix of late so this one was on the waiting list although my son is growing impatient for his hundreds of photos.

So, as I couldn't get it to kick over.. I slaved it up to my desktop (the only working desktop in the house) in my office.

This desktop (working one in my office) has had a few HDD slaved up to retrieve data and has been successful as it recognizes the slaved HDD as an extra drive and I have been able to view the data and transfer it to an external and then re load the orig OS and THEN put the data back.

However, when I slaved up the HDD from the desktop that wouldn't kick over, to the desktop in my office, a window appeared that said something like, 'this disk is not formatted, would you like to format it now'? Of course I selected NO.

Can anyone tell me why the computer is reading it this way?
What can I do to 'view' the data?
Am I able to retrieve through cmd prompt?

I don't want to reformat the HDD as then my son and daughter will loose all their photos, videos etc.

Both cords are plugged into the back of the HDD.

Sorry if I haven't been clear in previous posts.

I really am looking forward to getting this computer fixed, then my husbands desktop and then my life will hopefully return back to some kind of normal.

Appreciate your on going support and patience. Thank you.

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
The partition is messed up. You are going to have to get your hands on some recovery software. Leave the drive where it is now in the good machine. Install the recovery software and let it scan the bad drive. You can try iRecover http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/ for starters.

D

Deleted member 67555

do you have a different Operating system on the PC your connecting it to...
Like is the pc your connecting it to NTFS and your old computer was FAT32

Kymberly_S

You might want to consider reading the guidelines, Little Britain quotes are not decent thread titles.

Thowwy... It kind of did say no... like, no matter what I tried :( Didn't mean to break any rules, was just trying to stay light hearted in a frustrating situation. Please don't think I don't take you all seriously. I really do appreciate all the help and the time you have taken to answer my posts, a lot.

Hi Zod.. I am so afraid of loosing my kids stuff hey.. Have you done this before with a hard drive?

Hi jmcslob.. I guess I need to put the hard drive in the right computer to find out huh?
If they do differ... what does that mean?

Thanks

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Sometimes recovery works, sometimes not so much. Since the drive is visible to the BIOS and OS of the working system there is achance you can recover some files. What operating system is installed in the working machine the bad drive is connected to and what OS is on the bad drive? Windows XP, 2k, Vista etc?

It sounds to me like a corrupted partition table. Sometimes this is repairable, sometimes it isn't. So I still recommend using some kind of recovery software to try and at least get a copy of the data before attempting any type of repair.

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
If I were you I'd make a Linux Ubuntu Bootable cd then see if you can see the data on the hd.
If that dosnt work id look at trying to recreate the partition if that dosnt work
You will need to format the harddrive and run O&O over it, I will bring back all the files but not filenames eg 002.jpg would be a photo file but you would have to open it to see what photo

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
First thing I would try is putting it back in the original computer, then booting to the XP disc, and pushing R when prompted to get to the recovery mode.

This should bring you to a command prompt. Then run a Chkdsk /f on the drive and let it run and fix anything it finds. Hopefully, this will recovery the lost sectors, and allow you to boot the drive.

The other option is to leave it connected to the computer you have running, and running chkdsk [drive letter] /f from a command prompt there.

It sounds like there is curroption in the partition somewhere, meaning the drive is probably on its way to death.