1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer won't boot up

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by computerhelp101, Nov 26, 2010.

1. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all im sorrry if this is in the wrong section. Ok well recently my computer's power supply went out, and by went out i mean shot sparks and started smoking. So I ran over and pulled the power cord and could smell the power supply burning. I removed the power supply and tried another one in the computer and now when i hit the power button all i hear is a very quite noise its hard to explain but its like a "zing" or something like that. I'm worried that when the power supply went out it may have fried the mobo or something else in the computer any help is greatly appriciated, thanks.

2. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the TPU! Post your Pc's specifications please ,it is hard to help you without them.

3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    VERY UNFORTUNATE!
    Well 1st thing after listing system specs would be to remove hard-drives and any add on hardware from the mobo ...Disconnet everything except processor and one stick of ram and the video card if you have onboard then see if you can get it to post to the bios...then start adding things back from there..like the harddrive with the OS then test again...see if post ...IF yes then..... Try to boot in to the OS...Then if good ...Start adding back the rest and test as you go ...chances are that the PSU may have damaged something when it went out...OR that something in your config is so badly malfunctioned that it took out the PSU (unlickley)...

A CMOS reset probably would be bennificial as well ...taking in to account any arrays if you have any after the reset to rebuild them.

4. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    as far as spec are concerned im not possitively sure because we built this computer a few years ago. I have removed everything from the mobo and installed a working power supply and when i push the power button all i hear is a very quite noise and the computer doesn't do anything no fans or anything turn on.

5. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    im a little confused as to what you mean by test my mobo out of the case?

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    put the board off the case then remove all that connected to the board
    then visually check the board, if it get burned there will be trace like burned trace, smell fried, melt or something, check the area near ATX power or it will randomly so it could be on the front or the back or your board
    if thats OK connect the PSU to the board without RAM, then turn it on, if theres no beep it could be any problem with the board
    i hope works :D

modder says thanks.
  7. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i removed the mobo from the case and while i was at it checked it over for any fried spots, it all looked good so i tried running it on a peice of cardboard and still no luck. Howerver i noticed while removing the screws on the mobo that the plugs from the case were disconnected. I have not a clue as to how those got disconnected but I no longer have the instruction booklet that came with the mobo so im not sure where they plug in. That makes since why its not doing anything when i press the power button because the power button isn't plugged in

8. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry too much google for any model numbers you can see written on the mobo, and a manual should turn up on the manufacturer's website.

9. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try that and ill let you guys know what I find out

10. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    If you are having trouble, post a picture of the mobo. Try and do a good quality shot so we can zoom in and find details.

11. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was able to find/download the booklet and figured out the pin layout for the case plugs. I made sure those were correct and am still not getting anything from the mobo. I don't know if this is relevant or not but the ethernet port has a light on when I plug the computer in so i know the mobo is getting power it just won't turn on

12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    if you look at the pin closely there will be a mark power, reset, HDD etc, if it doesnt clear you can try short them with pen (carefully)
    if the ethernet light is on, it means the power from PSU is in, then the last is recheck the board
    :ohwell:

13. computerhelp101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried shorting the pins directly, but I did try putting the mob in another case incase it was a problem with the case and that didn't resolve anything