1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer wont post.....strange issues

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by acousticlemur, May 26, 2008.

1. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    the computer i am working on right now has a MSI 845E Max HT and a p4 2.2 had a broken retention bracket so i bought a new one and put it on. 2 of the clips were broken on the original and was held with 2 zip ties lol. any way, now the only way i can get the computer to post is when the cpu fan is not clamped down......... if it is just resting on the cpu it will post about 25% of the time, but when i flip the 3 levers and fasten it down....it's a no go. the temps are fine with it just sitting on it unhooked (~40c) but i cant get it to stay running for long..... any ideas?

2. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump

3. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Could it be that the cpu is not resting in the exact location it should be.. meening when you apply preasure with the fan it is not perfectly aligned anymore?

4. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    nah, i think that it was the mobo, cause i have been messing with it for hours now, and nothing happens anymore... no post, no beeps.... fans spin up, dvd light flickers, hdd spins up....and that is it....

5. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    You were holding your stuff down with zip ties? I would look into that "area" a littel more. Like he said, comething is probably not aligned right in that area. Maybe more pressure on one side than the other.

6. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    could be what ever broke the clips damamged the socket too?

7. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah it was held with zip ties for over a year lol, just bought a new retention bracket and now it wont work lol!! :banghead: i should have left it alone...

8. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    possible but the clips were broke shortly after the mobo was purchased......many many years ago lol and it worked fine. last year i noticed that it was averaging about 145F so i fixed it with zipties and it never broke 125F under load.