• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Confusing behaviour regarding BIOS settings getting reset

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling U12A + T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Since February, while still in Bristol, I had to switch from the SG05 back to the SG08 because of high CPU temps during gaming. In the SG05, I can only use the L9x65. In the SG08, I can use the D9L, which tames my temps. This is an issue because if my underclock in the BIOS does not "stick", I will be running at 4-4.4GHz (which my L9x65 cannot handle) instead of the intended 3.5GHz (which my L9x65 can handle).

From early February to late March, I never got BIOS settings to "stick". Less underclock? Still a reset. More voltage? Still a reset. What the comp would do upon booting would be to show the Gigabyte and Ultra Durable logo for a few seconds, then quickly restart and show the same screen again a few seconds later, upon which Windows would load. Never on the first pass through POST, never needed a third try either.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been back home in Vancouver. Not once has my system exhibited such behaviour. Not once.

The only differences between the two settings that I can think of are:

1. Different voltage - grounded 120V vs grounded 230V

2. Weird static electricity shocks from doing things like walking around in my room or taking my sweater off (Bristol only). Unfortunately, it happens every single day and touching a metal chair leg / doorknob does not always discharge successfully. Both places are carpeted. I rarely ever get shocked at home in Vancouver.

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm going back to Bristol tomorrow and I'll see if the problem manifests again.