1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Conroe at 4GHz

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, May 20, 2006.

1. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kind of weird, AMD and Intel are switching positions with AMD going for massive bandwidth and with DDR2 and faster cpu/HTT clocks while Intel is going for more efficient architecture.

Who wants to bet once AMD goes 65 nm they will move to a GHz naming scheme like Intel used to? As much as Intel and AMD wanted consumers to look away from the GHz rating, that is still what they look for.

2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just wish they would make it simple..
    for serial numbers they could use this format
    initals of codename-clock-number or cores-cache per core-socket-stepping

ex (my p4)
    nw-3.0-1-512-478-9
    easy isnt it?

3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG!! They are going to have an AMD FX-62 2.8GHZ for AM2!! I can predict the future!!

Yeah!!

4. v-zero Guest

And from a chinese (p)review linked on The Inquirer we see that it performs like a dog... Not impressive, not impressive at all... :mad:

5. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    That fsb is insane!!!!! I want one of those for my birthday. :p

6. rage

Thanks Received:
    damn that thing is fast, i ran the super pi @ 1m like the conroe but it took my pc 41 seconds to do it. weird thing was that it only ran @50% load. thats the down side of hypertreading i guess. would the dual core only use one core on the superpie???

btw, i just ordered a dual core and mobo and some low latancy ram, planning a huge oc, if the core alows it :) caused by this artical:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

hope too get near those speeds, i hope to recieve the stuff end of the week, i post back as soon as i got results

greets rage

7. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow thats a steal... so is a opteron 165:)

8. rage

Thanks Received:

thx 4 the support:p i REALY hope this works out because the D 805 i'm recieving this friday is @stock speeds much slower than what i have now. so if it doesn't work out i lost a quitte amount of money and speed:ohwell: coming weekend will tell (nervous)

9. rage

Thanks Received:
    ok got the stuff running, had some problems with the ram, i made a mistake orderin ddr instead of ddr2:banghead: and than tried XP x64 that wouldnt boot after install and after 3 days trying everything i could think of i just installed normal xp and it worked:shadedshu

the story on THG seems to be correct, i could go to 3.6Ghz no p,@stock voltage.
    @ 3.8 it needed a minor Vcore increase to stay stable,BUT i cannot go beyond it cause it gets way too hot under full load ( 2x100%). :mad:

so im thinkin about liquid coolin, or maybe peltier (dunno if that works 4 me)

if you read this infrared, how the **** can you cool you're rig @4.9 Ghz with air???

please tell me:respect:

greetz rage

10. XooM New Member

Thanks Received:
    what aircooler do you have? Thermaltake Big Typhoon will get you into the 4ghz range easy.

and DO NOT go peltier... its too annoying and complex, especially for CPU cooling, and it'll cost a fortune to set up and in power bills, and also yields mediocre performance at best.

11. rage

Thanks Received:
    i got a zalman fatality cpu cooler, and it's also rated to go till 4 Ghz, and with my old 478 p4northwood @ 3.75 Ghz no problem, 56 celcius under 100% load

12. rage

Thanks Received:
    come too think of it, indeed it sounds a bit stupid :) but i worked 4 my previous cooler that was supposed to go til 3.6 and it did... maybe coincedense or something.

4 my new cpu it doesnt work anyway :(

13. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    4.9ghz isn't stable unfortunatly, but if i use chilled air ducted from outside i can get 4.8ghz dual prime stable :D Somehow the chip does 4.35ghz on stock voltage :eek: I think it's the cpu/mobo combo... the 640 and the Asus p5wd2 premium overclock like crazy.

for 24/7 use i use anything up to 4.7ghz, max temps are in mid 50's. I lapped the IHS and the base of my freezer 7 pro, that helped a little, but it's not worth the effort for the extra few *c difference.

14. rage

Thanks Received:

ok... wow 4.35Ghz on stock...that worth the money 4 a cpu

i discoverd that my cooler didn't had good contact with the cpu,now it's cooling much beter but still not enough to reach my goal (4+Ghz) so im looking for watercooling now:rolleyes:

15. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet :D

I'm going for a simple WC cpu loop, i'm planning to get a good swiftech pump, and the apogee waterblock. Then i'm either going to modify a radiator from an old AC unit, or just buy a 120x240 rad, and slap a couple of large fans on it.

Hopefully i can hit 5ghz stable, if i can get the cpu cool enough to take 1.65v or higher.

16. rage

Thanks Received:
    yeah got the same id.. have something in mind made from carparts. gonna try a interior heater radiator and a electrical pump and just buy a cpu coolblock..
    budget tweaking ;)

17. rage

Thanks Received:
    ok got my stuff, a zalman cpu waterblock, a bosch pump and a interior radiator from a golf/jetta mk2 :D . and 2 sharkoon 14 cm fans...
    now im gonna be busy for a while to mod the case to squize everyting in, it's kinda large (20x280 cm )

greets rage

18. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Ha, my kind of "tweaker" - making use of 'spare parts' from OTHER interests!

:)

* It's good to have a "sanford & son" type layout around the homestead, yes? I think so - this is where being a "packrat" can payoff!

APK

P.S.=> Have you considered cheap alternates, like auxiliary powersteering or tranny coolers?

First off, they'd be NEW (thus, less chance of weakness &/or leaks) & aluminum parts like them are cheap!

E.G. - iirc, the one I have (tranny cooler aux for my ride) was only like $30 tops to buy & that wasn't online, it was at a local parts store (Advance Auto)...

They look EASY to adapt to something like your doing & they are GOOD size, probably great cooling when combo's w/ a few fans! apk

19. rage

Thanks Received:
    yeah and makin something work succesfuly in a way it was never suposed to work is more fun and satisfaction than just buy something :toast:

btw the radiator is new, i indeed do not want to take a risk at it to burst or someother nasty things:)