1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Converted HD6950 to HD6970 but...

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by searingmage, Jan 13, 2011.

1. searingmage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I managed to successfully convert my HD6950 to HD6970, however, I observed a slight decrease on my 3D mark 06. Before converting, it was 16897, after converting it became 16562. Though I would like to add that there's an increase in score for 3D mark 11 (from P4138 to P4387).
    I've increase the voltage by 20% from ati CCC and the clock is currently at 880mhz memory clock is 1375mhz.
    I've checked gpu-z and obtain the same result as the guide.
    Now, is there any reason why there's a decrease in score instead of an increase?
    Next, I would like to ask what can I do to test to see if there's rendering errors?
    Thanks in advance.

Edit:
    I forget to mention that this message appears when I get the result from 3D mark.
    "Your result has the following problem(s) and will not be shown for example on leaderboards: Graphics driver is not approved"
    Will this cause any problem?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    whats ur cpu??? it might be holding it back...

and dont care about synthetics dud, play a game and catch the frame rate... and set power tune to +20% yeah

EDIT:-

Use MSI Kombustor or FURMARK for stability test, 1 hour.. and make sure u set fan speed about 50%

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Downclock your memory a little and give it another run, the memory error checks and if you strech it too far it will throttle back and affect performance.

Mussels says thanks.
  4. searingmage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, perhaps my CPU is holding back, but that's no reason for the score to drop right?
    Anyways, my CPU is phenom II x4 940BE on MSI KA790GX mobo with 4gb ram.

Thanks for the info on stability test. 1 Hour?? o_O Nv knew need to test stability test so long..
    I can just leave it for 1 hour without myself needing to monitor right?
    Well, I can play games to see the frame rate, but now that I flashed it to 6970, I don't want to be flashing it back to 6950 just to test frame rate on 6950.

5. searingmage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I'll try downclocking. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Qed New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are gonna damage your memory, if you already havent. Furmark is gonna give it the final blow, especially if with AA on.

Ppl without compueter/electronic knowledge and especially without the will of learning should not do stuff like that.

7. searingmage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh? Please further elaborate? Cause I don't see any sources saying that I must downclock my memory or anything.

8. Qed New Member

Thanks Received:
    6970 and 6950 have different memory chip and different PCB. As an electronic engineer i can garant you it is not a good idea to flash the 6950 with a 6970 bios since the 3 different resistor of the VRM can make your ram/gpu voltage out of standards as long as we don't know what's their role, not to mention the 6950 memory chip are cerified for 1250 MHz and the one on the 6970 for 1500 MHz.

There are over 40 pages on the main thread and a pool on this forum.
    Poll: What caused your flashed 6950 permanent dam...

9. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    6950 is a lower performance part sold at a lower price point than 6970. Some of the parts on the board may not be rated for the same stress as the parts on the 6970 board in order to keep the price down. This has been shown time and again whenever someone manages to unlock a card into something better. The 9500Non Pro->9700 mod was the same and so was the 9800SE->9800 XT and the X800GTO->X850XT mod. The lower performing parts on the lesser card held it back from running the same clocks as the fully functional card so while the modded card was faster than before, it wasn't quite as fast as the card you were trying to unlock it to. That's why you have to downclock memory and in some cases even the core may need to be downclocked if that's glitching at the higher speeds.

10. wakkierob

wakkierob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just the Voltage dude, Increasing Voltage can burn you up. The voltage can course the Graphics card to explode coursing serious injury especially in the eyes. The liquid that comes out of those capacitors is deady dangerous I know I'm blinded slightly from a hard mod that went wrong because the capacitors couldn't keep up with voltage and my case was a open one! lol :eek:

Use RBE to lower the voltage on the lower settings coursing an adverse effect. Please I begg you do not go to high with tha volts OK!

your better Off lower the core frequency and highering the mem freq or Building Crossfire mines 20300 3dmark with two hd 4770's crossfired at £50 each from ebay! yo :pimp:

Attached Files:

11. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Fixed for you.

:)

12. Qed New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've heard it is also radiactive and can turn you into a ninja turtle if you get in contact by accident.

13. wakkierob

wakkierob New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL :D

Try not to solder directly to a battery either they explode tooooooo! :cry:

14. searingmage New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, you're implying that I should return my bios to 6950 bios?
    Well, I did it because techpower mention that the increasing the voltage by that amount is well covered by manufacturing tolerances and overspeccing.

15. LGV

LGV New Member

Thanks Received:

Poll: What caused your flashed 6950 permanent dam...