1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling Problem with Nephews laptop, Need Help please.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by jboydgolfer, Jul 16, 2013.

1. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Hello TPU member's /Guests,

My nephew is just a kid (12) , But he is IN LOVE with PC Gaming, and video editing , recording, and basically ALL manner of PC tech. I try My best to encourage his interests, and help it Flourish into Whatever He wants it to become. Unfortunately as of late, His laptop has been hitting TJMaxx, and shutting down.

My problem is that I DO know a Decent bit about PC's , but My knowledge of Laptop's is MINIMAL @ best. I assume that they basically have the Same make up, but My ignorance gives Me fear to simply open it, and Clean, and try to resolve whatever problem is causing the Over heating.

My questions are, Can I simply open it, and address the issue , e.g. Clean fans of dust, dirt , and debris? Re-Apply TIM to GPU , and CPU?
    I DO know all the precautions to mind while working on a Desktop PC, are they the Same with a Laptop? It IS still under warranty , Should I just have it sent in for repair? I apologize if this line of questioning Seems basic, but I REALLY have never owned a laptop, and dont want to cause any damage. I have Also looked into those laptop Cooling fan bases, that go under the unit, and have several fans that help increase ventilation, are these of any REAL use? I KNOW that they MUST provide SOME kind of decrease in C's, but I prefer to spend my time making a more permanent , and successful fix, (NOT a bandage).

Laptop Model is--- HP PAVILLION G6-2270DX (under Warranty Still)Win 8 64bit.
    I Know it has an AMD CPU/GPU combo. Sorry for LAck of details, it's NOT My laptop.

Any and ALL RELATED advice is welcome, please if You have No constructive advice to offer, there are LOT'S of funny videos on youtube, go watch one of them :)
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    before you open it try to just blow out dust with compressed air.
    laptops need dust cleaning more often then desktops but it isnt needed to open it order to clean dust. use compressed air on every 1-2 mounts and it will work fine.
    also you can take one of those http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/mobile/for-12-to-15-inch/notepal-u2.html
    i have U3 version and it deals quite well with gpu overheating problems of my qosmio
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I've worked on a few laptops, and they are sometimes a challenge to work on, but if you use compressed air, it's easy enough to remove the access covers to blow out the CPU and GPU coolers. Re-applying TIM is probably too complicated, as it would require removing the whole case (and may void the warranty). You didn't mention what model he's using or any specs, so I don't know how bad he's stressing it, but in my experience ALL laptops run too hot for more than casual use. I think a good cleaning and a laptop cooler with fans will alleviate the problem somewhat, but with the tasks he's doing, a desktop should be his goal for the future, as it can be optimized for those tasks and cooling is easy to upgrade. I would NOT send it back for warranty work, they'll just tell you there's nothing wrong. There should be at least 2 or 3 covers on the bottom that are held on by a couple screws, access for RAM, hard drive, and CPU/wifi card. Also remove the battery any time you work on a laptop, and observe the usual static precautions. Good luck, I think it's great when people show a passion for computing at an early age, they often accomplish great things later on. My oldest brother started at that age (in 1967!) and he's made a fortune and had a great time doing it.
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    just blow down the fan opening once and then though the exhaust area at the side.

also make sure your nephew isnt using it on the bed, as beds are soft and all the ports get blocked making the fan suffocate. buy him a cheap little notebook cooler. CM ones go for around 20$ and are as effective at cooling as the more expensive ones.
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  5. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  6. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    EDIT: HP have been known to get really, really hot. My mates have had a few over the years that eventually die from heat related issues. As it is still under warranty, perhaps send it back manufacturer, if blowing out dust does not lower temperatures.
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Blow some compressed air in it to blow the dust out, if that does not work, send it back under warranty, It's not worth voiding the warranty imho.
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  8. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    TBH I wouldn't open the back of it as it is under warranty just in case someone says something. I'd use compressed air to get any dust out but just be careful not to blow it the dust in further or cake which makes it a PITA to get out then. HDD/RAM covers should be removable without voiding the warranty as long as the RAM/HDD aren't taken out/changed so that might help blow out dust from the inside out.

I use a Zalman NC-2000 notebook cooler for my Asus G53 from several years ago (quite an ancient product) and it drops temps between 5-12C which may not sound like much but it certainly helps. Ambient temperature and airflow around the laptop is really an important factor too.
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  9. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:

Model Number, and make ARE there in the original post, But are a Way's down, You MIGHT have skimmed past it, but Your point is STILL valid, and appreciated. I apologize for my absence as I had a Family emergency which required My presence for a few days.

As far as the Laptop, I noticed it has a Removable Cover over a Fan, I think, So I'll try taking JUST it off, and going at it with a Can of Air. Aside from that, if it is STILL running so hot that it KEEPS hitting TJMAXX, then I'll get an RMA #, and go that route.

I was just trying to avoid that IF possible, I don't think ANY of us want our PC's , or what have You, out of order for a Few weeks if it's avoidable.

Thanks for ALL of Your help.
    Case Closed.