• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cooling upgrade: your thoughts?

p27182

Processor e6420
Motherboard p5bdeluxe
Cooling kingwin water cooling
Video Card(s) evga geforce 7300 gt
Storage seagate & hitachi
ok, I've got a kingwin 3000 all in one unit now where the pump/radiator and temp monitor are all in that 2x5.25 enclosure and I'm only using the cpu waterblock. my evga pci16 card isnt being liquid cooled, yet.
I've got a 6420 c2d and she's at 2.4GHz right now with a '1200Hz' fsb...
highest temp hit with TAT is 57degrees. this is a hefty increase over the stock 40degrees or so...

I wanna upgrade to the Swiftech Apex Ultra H20-220 With Apogee GT for ~220 bucks. I'm under the impression this is a very nice cooling system, do you agree?

I was also thinking I'd scrap the rubber hoses and use metal hoses in the interest of dissapating a wee bit more heat. other than the obvious rusting concerns can you think of any other issue i might run into?

I want to be able to break the 3GHz barrier without breaking 60degrees.

any comment/suggestions are appreciated.
thanks!
-pat

p.s.- i was also wondering to myself why all these water cooling systems show all the waterblocks hooked up in serial.... whussup with that? am i wrong in saying the heat extracted from the first component in the waterline will be carried TO the second device? or is this temperature gradient insignificant???
thanks

Hawk1

Processor E6600@3.6Ghz (8x450)
Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2GB Ballistix Tracers @900 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI X1950XTX w/TR HR-03
Storage 2 x WD250GB (RAID0) 1x WD150GB Raptor 1x500GB external
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case TT Armour
Audio Device(s) Xfi xtreme Gamer (X-230s/HD595s)
Power Supply TT 750W modular
Software xp pro SP2/Vista Ultimate 32
ok, I've got a kingwin 3000 all in one unit now where the pump/radiator and temp monitor are all in that 2x5.25 enclosure and I'm only using the cpu waterblock. my evga pci16 card isnt being liquid cooled, yet.
I've got a 6420 c2d and she's at 2.4GHz right now with a '1200Hz' fsb...
highest temp hit with TAT is 57degrees. this is a hefty increase over the stock 40degrees or so...

I wanna upgrade to the Swiftech Apex Ultra H20-220 With Apogee GT for ~220 bucks. I'm under the impression this is a very nice cooling system, do you agree?

I was also thinking I'd scrap the rubber hoses and use metal hoses in the interest of dissapating a wee bit more heat. other than the obvious rusting concerns can you think of any other issue i might run into?

I want to be able to break the 3GHz barrier without breaking 60degrees.

any comment/suggestions are appreciated.
thanks!
-pat

p.s.- i was also wondering to myself why all these water cooling systems show all the waterblocks hooked up in serial.... whussup with that? am i wrong in saying the heat extracted from the first component in the waterline will be carried TO the second device? or is this temperature gradient insignificant???
thanks

While I'm no expert at watercooling, I have been doing research on it for the past month or so, so I'll give you what I have learned.

1. You should see a good improvement by going with the Swiftech kit, as it has a much better pump for a better flow rate.

2. By going in serial for the blocks, you are correct, the temp will be insignificant to the next block. Flow rate in the loop is the most important factor.

3. As far as using metal hoses, it may dissipate more heat, but you will probably need to use several 90 degree angles, which I hear just kill the flow rate, which would result in higher temps all around.

Anyway, just my .02. Someone with W/C experience can chime in and correct me/expand on my comments.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

thanks

Advice: Use copper if you do go metal.

Good question with serial vs parallel - serial gives you consistent flow, and typically you put the most critical components on the cool end of the loop.