• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i5 or Core i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
My computer a HP Envy 400-417 has been pretty decent with gaming but I don't really play real high end games. It has a core i5 4570 3.20GHZ processor in it with a HD4600 INTEL integrated video card in it. Just got on Christmas 2014.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
i5 is fine for gaming.
OC the crap out of it ;)

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The i5 may end up gaining nothing in a DX12 environment, Whereas the i7 stands to gain a slight boost if the rumors are true.
When a new version of a graphics API gets much lower CPU overhead, then every CPU gains from it.
Proper multithreaded rendering will indeed make i7 better for games in DX12, where at DX11 i5 and i7 give pretty much the same results.
So we get improvements on both fronts, but major gains will come from reduced CPU overhead for all CPUs proportionally.

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
It may be one site, but it consistently shows the advantages of the two classes of Intels. What I find a bit surprising is how consistently poor all the AMDs performed with even the i3 3220 beating all or most AMDs with each game tested.

AMD announced last year (maybe in 2013) that they will no longer compete head to head with Intel, but they have every intention to keep nipping at their heels and Intel knows it. This will keep Intel looking over their shoulder and all that will be good for consumers. But still, after looking at GhostRyder's links, AMD needs to step up their game.

:( It's the person who submits posts, not to contribute or participate in a mature discussion, but for the sole purpose of criticizing others with puerile comments that does it for me.

Feel free to unsubscribe and stop wasting your time reading, or ours with posts that don't add any value to the discussion.

For me, I thank GhostRyder's and Frag Maniac and others for their contributions to this "endless discussion" and to yogurt21 and Iceni for joining the thread today to add theirs.

In reference to your post #43...
How about "YOU Feel free to unsubscribe" and stop treating the members with such rudeness with a statement like "Feel free to unsubscribe". I'd much rather see that happen.
Your OPINION only regarding I7 vs. I5 is not factual at all, regarding gaming.
Just because you are a fanboi of I7 is no excuse to try and shove misleading information down everyone's throat. Most of us know you are wrong and are an opinionated person with a, for lack of a better description at the moment, very hard head.
It has been hashed and rehashed over a thousand times before here and elsewhere. The I7 holds a VERY small, if any, advantage over an I5 unless one uses HT and the proper application FOR HT. As a matter of fact, it may be a disadvantage in certain situations.
I'm not going to go into the specifics on why... just Google it yourself.

And being such a noob here one would think you would tread a bit lighter here instead of arguing with everyone with bull headed nonsense and insults.
And your assumption that I only have a "couple" i5's and i7's is testament enough to your type of thinking and personality. To me it seems you are one of those flamers that try to start arguments and trouble and have a deep need to be "right" even when you are wrong.
And I am one of those types that jump right back in the face of those types of people that do that.
Cheers, go have a beer now and think about it before you respond.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
If you can't decide i5 or i7, then get the i7 and turn off HyperThreading ... :p (laugh)

This is actually not such a bad idea, although it seemed to be in jest. As long as you can afford it, it might be good to test what you do with HT on AND off. Then if it turns out your gaing is better served by no HT, turn it off, and if you find the need for other work, to include, but not limited to things like video and photo-editing, turn it on.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
This is actually not such a bad idea, although it seemed to be in jest. As long as you can afford it, it might be good to test what you do with HT on AND off. Then if it turns out your gaing is better served by no HT, turn it off, and if you find the need for other work, to include, but not limited to things like video and photo-editing, turn it on.
Please no, more things to add to the debate.......... I tried that with my old i7 930 @ 4.3gig although on only about 4 games that I was playing at the time and with HT off I got slightly higher FPS. :D

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Please no, more things to add to the debate.......... I tried that with my old i7 930 @ 4.3gig although on only about 4 games that I was playing at the time and with HT off I got slightly higher FPS. :D
LOL, ok, it's already been tried!

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
Ugh... Posts like the ones from this Bill guy really make me hate forums...
i bet many people here feel the same...

It may be one site, but it consistently shows the advantages of the two classes of Intels. What I find a bit surprising is how consistently poor all the AMDs performed with even the i3 3220 beating all or most AMDs with each game tested.

AMD announced last year (maybe in 2013) that they will no longer compete head to head with Intel, but they have every intention to keep nipping at their heels and Intel knows it. This will keep Intel looking over their shoulder and all that will be good for consumers. But still, after looking at GhostRyder's links, AMD needs to step up their game.

:( It's the person who submits posts, not to contribute or participate in a mature discussion, but for the sole purpose of criticizing others with puerile comments that does it for me.

Feel free to unsubscribe and stop wasting your time reading, or ours with posts that don't add any value to the discussion.

For me, I thank GhostRyder's and Frag Maniac and others for their contributions to this "endless discussion" and to yogurt21 and Iceni for joining the thread today to add theirs.

Your opinions sometimes are prety hard to read… sometimes you might have the complete point, but other times is like giving the keyboard to "scumbag steve" for a fast reply, a forum is a place to contribute, help and give personal opinions my friend, you cannot change the decision and personal opinions of many people with your intolerance and brave way to speak…. learn how to respect all people and opinions here… by the way many times we don't care about how "Pro" you said you are…

Regards,

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
i7 fanboy? Not hardly. It is clear, however, there are several i5 fanboys here who are totally intent on convincing the OP and others the i5 is better and the i7 is not worth the extra money!

Those are personal opinions based solely on biases and limited experiences. And Raw, we did the googling! We provided link after link after link (provided by several, not just me), many to TPU comparisons you chose to ignore, showing where the i7 consistently outperforms the i5 in gaming! So who is wrong? And there are several here who have stated $100 is worth it to them and many i5 promoters in this thread who admitted the i7 performs better.

So, Raw, are we ALL wrong - or just me?

Some here are trying to convince the OP the i5 is better when that wasn't even his question. Nor did his question have anything to do with "worth it". And some are trying to convince everyone that $100 more for an i7 is not worth it when there are many hard-core gaming enthusiasts out there willing to pay much more than $100 to eke out just a few more FPS and think it more than worth it. And they are entitled to that opinion!

Finally this totally OT sidetrack started after it was said, any modern i5 will be as good as an i7 for gaming. (1) several links by several in this thread shows that is not true, (2) nothing in that comment or my response to it was about "worth a $100". HOWEVER, in fact, I said in my first response, "for most people the i7 may not be worth the extra costs...".

But instead of accepting the facts, and more importantly, the rights of others to have a different opinion about what $100 is worth to them, the i5 fanboys continue to insist the performance gains are not the worth the extra money for them, therefore the extra money is not worth it for anyone! :(

And I'm the one accused of being opinionated?

Clearly, I am talking to brick walls, unwilling to accept the evidence presented in multiple links by multiple people, and unwilling to accept that others can have different opinions on what is valuable to them.

So to all of you who don't want to hear more of what you don't want hear, I am done. Good day.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I upgraded from i5 to i7, didn't notice anything. i5 is basically just as good as i7 for gaming. Sure, the i7 turns in a few more fps on select titles, but that doesn't make the i5 bad a gaming. You are splitting hairs at the top of the top. i7 is 46% more expensive (Amazon) but certainly doesn't deliver 46% more gaming fps on average.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My apologies to all. I know I just said I was done, but then another generalization came in.
I upgraded from i5 to i7, didn't notice anything.
And many won't notice the difference but there are way too many variables to say or imply what you experienced with your one system and that one i5 and that one i7 applies to "any" i5 and "every" i7. Not all i5s are created equal, nor are all i7s.

And besides the particular i5 and i7, performance also depends on the game being played and every other potential bottleneck in the system such as the motherboard, RAM, graphics, other apps running, drive performance - and network connection for some. If those other areas are bottle necking your system, you can put an i3 in there and not see a difference.

And for sure, I never said, suggested, or implied the i5 was "bad" at anything. I've used i5 on several builds here. I said above for those happy with their i5s, "that's great!" I also noted the i3-4170, for the money, does very well - and outperformed several i5s too!
You are splitting hairs at the top of the top.
Maybe, but I don't think so. But you CLEARLY are suggesting and trying to convince everyone that all i5s are "just as good" as all i7s when it comes to gaming because that is what you experienced with your system.

Yet rooivalk, CAPSLOCKSTUCK, 64K, GhostRyder, and me all provided several links in this thread showing that is not true. In fact, rooivalk showed where an i7 in the same computer provided nearly 10FPS greater performance from 32.61 FPS with an i5 to 42.46 FPS with an i7. That is significant and definitely noticeable, and well worth the extra money for many gaming enthusiasts.

Now I am done. Thanks.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
the OP os this topic may a million miles away because of the discussion and endless war between general discussion and dictatorship and tyranny from an *ss

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
In fact, rooivalk showed where an i7 in the same computer provided nearly 10FPS greater performance from 32.61 FPS with an i5 to 42.46 FPS with an i7. That is significant and definitely noticeable, and well worth the extra money for many gaming enthusiasts.

That chart was taken from here. Looking at the 4670 at 4 GHz and the 4770 at 4 GHz then the difference is about 7 FPS.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/8.html

it's important to read the note right after the chart.

"When it comes to games, one of the latest and most popular is Battlefield 3 by Electronic Arts. The Core i7-4770K's Hyper-Threading Technology allowed it to perform better than the Core i5-4670K without it."

As Mussels pointed out BF3 benefits heavily from multithreading.

But take a look at the other two games tested

Metro Last Light

League of Legends

Make sure to compare the two CPUs at the same speed and you will see that it is very little difference which is what I posted previously in this thread using another source. Yes there is a difference but very little.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
i5 FTW. My 25ooK eats all that stand in its path. ;)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
The OP has not posted in here since he started this thread 8 days ago, although he has still been active in other threads, most likely sick of the squabbling of people that are more bent on trying to prove themselves right rather than focus on his needs and that comment applies to a few, not any individual specifically, with that in mind the threads closed, should the Op wish it to be re-opened he can message me, then I will delete the last 2 pages and we can start the journey again...... thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.