1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i7 920 c0/c1 Air cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mafia97, Jun 18, 2014.

1. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys,

My PC config is given . I have an old core i7 which has served me well and needs to serve me well for two more years, as I will build my next PC then.
    It has mostly been used for gaming and recording and editing gameplays. recently I started noticing that the fan of CPU is pretty loud , I ignored it thinking that it was due to summers in India(VERY BAD DECISION) .
    today I was rendering a video and ran alongside realtemp , the temperatures of cores were 95+ and one core touching 100 frequently .
    The CPU is at stock clocks so this should not happen. This scared me .

so please recommend a good air cooler for CPU which would serve me for next two years and may be help in overclocking too , if need be.

thank you , please dont criticize me for my ignorance towards the temperatures , I am already scared :)

2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    mafia97 says thanks.
  3. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    the price is bit high and I do not know if it will fit in a CM 690(first gen).
    wont it's design cause problems with ram, like the fan might push against the rams.

4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    The 920 is a hot running CPU, so I'm going to recommend a little more than I normally would. Normally, I would recommend the Noctua NH D14, but considering how hot the 1st gen i7 runs, I going to recommend the same heatsink I have on my 3930k, which is a Gamer Storm Assassin. Top of the line air cooler that keeps my 3930k running at 4.3ghz while at full load for weeks on end in the 70'c range with an ambient room temp of about 22' c. You can read TechpowerUp's review of it here- http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Deepcool/Assassin/

mafia97 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    70$ is good price , I can try and Import it from US in two months time. Will these coolers fit in cm690 and not cause problems with ram or something?

6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    It should barely fit in the 690.

You should be ok with your XMS RAM. If you had Vengence RAM with the tall heatsink, it would be a issue.

mafia97 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Thank for the information , I will have a chat with my friend about importing one of the above mentioned coolers.
    Since RAM also overclocks with CPU , when CPU is overclocked ,will I need cooler for ram too? And can I Install fans in any directions, like to push hot air out of the case ?
    thank you :)

8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    mafia97 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I have the above mentioned PHTC12DX and it is very nice.

I think the PHTC14PE and NHD14 are a bit better than the PHTC12DX because I have mine maxed out with a bigger more powerful fan than the stock ones and I'd still like it to be a bit cooler, yet I get very diminishing returns with more fan speed, so it would be nice to have more heat sink surface area.

However they take up a lot more space than the PHTC12DX...

If you set the memory multiplier lower you can offset the increased base clock to keep the memory at its rated speed. You don't need a fan for the ram.

Try to set the same number of fans blowing in as blowing out and make it blow in from the front+bottom and blow out from the back+top.

mafia97 says thanks.
  10. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I went to sleep.
    Ok thanks for advise on memory multiplier , I have fiddled with those before. I think I will be able to import cooler.
    Till then shall I underclock my CPU?
    And I am washing the current heatsync (the stock one), I have thermal past packed. So will tell what happens :).

11. R0H1T New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are you importing one, just get this & be done with it ~
    DEEPCOOL Lucifer Copper Base High Performance CPU COOLER with 6 Heatpipes
    Besides you're better off buying stuff here rather than import (cheaper ?) stuff from the US but (potentially) having to deal with warranty issues in the future.

GreiverBlade and mafia97 say thanks.
  12. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    washed the heat sink and temperatures are 15 degree less.
    rendering the same video the max temp on any core was 86 degree C with room temperature around 38 to 40 degree C
    earlier PC was idling at 70+ now it is lower 50 and higher 40 after rendering video.
    so cleaning worked. And I want to Import because I am on a tight budget always.

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have an H50 unit I got for around 20$ and it cools the cpu to around 70 deg full load even with it OCed to 3.8Ghz

Only difference is that I have a D0 version

mafia97 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    H50 is a water cooling solution right from corsair?
    i dont think the radiator would fit in cm690

15. R0H1T New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still think that import duties + shipping costs would make that purchase more expensive but if you can somehow skip'em then good luck to you. Another viable alternative could be the hyper 212x which can be had somewhere in the region of 2-2.5K locally depending on your bargaining skills, especially since Delhi also has lots of stores that skimp on taxes :toast:

mafia97 says thanks.
  16. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    The good thing about any cooler used on the CM690 is any heatsink can go right up to the side, since the two fan slots in side panel are to the rear. This saved me a few times on my CM690 (which I no longer use).

mafia97 says thanks.
  17. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    yea it will fit fine. I ran the same setup with a 2600K on that case. Mounts to the back 120mm

mafia97 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    If a realtive would bring then no taxes :)

19. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    Thermalright HR02 Macho rev.A B/W cheap and quite the performer (single fan with dual option) i used one on the i7-920 i had (@4.1) in the 65-71° range full load and is also compatible with tall memory (i had Kingston Viper and Corsair Dominator with it: no problems )
    ok it's not a noctua but where i am it cost half the price of the NHD14 or any Phanteks 140mm and perform quite same. i even went on a Corsair H70 and back to the Macho .... so a H50... :roll:

if you can find one where you are, take the chance (that one or a Scythe Ashura)

dunno why i hate Noctua, Phanteks, on the other hand, i don't hate them ok the price is high too but they give another kind of feelings than Noctua :D

oh the lucifer in the link Macho type cooler (like the Raijintek Ereboss) and a similar price :D me like this one :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    mafia97 says thanks.