1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i7 965 extreme or qx965 quad

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zOaib, Apr 27, 2009.

1. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    i post on these forums now n then my good brother from india, bta, keeps me up to date with all the new tech stuff , but i have found myself at the crossroads of temptation but at the same time a temptation without real logic backing it up , i have been drooling over the new core i7 extreme 965 quad , and was wondering if it will be an upgrade with considerable advantages over my current QX9650 setup, i know i will have to replace my mobo + ram for the transition to take place but if you already have a QX9650 wud u upgrade or i got plenty of power left in this QX to keep me goin for a while , also remembering i have not yet OCed my current setup form its 3ghz default settings. =)

thx in advance for all inputs.

2. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    It all depends on what your use it for,
    from what your saying, you don't need to so why bother.

but your board and want to be back on cutting edge.

I do lots of cpu intesive stuff, so it was logical for me,
    plus gaming and building rigs, i ned to stay current,

but it sounds like a personal choice for you,
    get out of that QX now before the prices plummets
    and get the 975 - DO and you'll be on the top for a long
    time to come....

and get that thrill building it all over again. plus learning
    new hardware, the i7 is a totally different beast!

..if you got the cash, make the dash!

zOaib says thanks.
  3. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    unless you want to wait for the i5 to come out...:)

4. Drizzt5

Drizzt5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your going to notice no real improvement in gaming if you switch.
    But if your drooling over the new cpu's as much as I am and you have the time and cash to sell your existing cpu and mobo then go for it.

And OC that cpu you have or give it to me :pimp::slap::toast:

zOaib says thanks.
  5. vladmire New Member

Thanks Received:
    better savour the the power and the money you've invested with QX proc. it would still suffice for the next coming months and perhaps years.

zOaib says thanks.
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what you are using it for. If gaming is your primary concern, then the QX is just fine. If encoding, or other cpu intensive, multithreaded apps are what you primarily use it for, the i7 is the way to go.

Either way, you need to do some over clocking. lol.

zOaib says thanks.
  7. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    thx for the input i will do some OCin on this baby , and break its virginity ............. i use my system for little bit of encoding but for the most part gaming =)

btw , how is the new AMD Phenom II X4 955 deneb , i saw its pretty good in benches for a lot of the stuff speciallyy gaming .

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The 955 is very good all around. Your cpu and the 955 should be equal in gaming, with the QX just slightly ahead in most other things. It would be more of a cross-grade, and not really worth it.

If you are looking to spend some money on your computer for gaming, pick up another 4870X2, and maybe some more peripherals. Perhaps a BluRay drive, or maybe an SSD or 2?

9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    you could go i7 920 :) I say sell your stuff now and get an i7 setup with watercooling... You<ll have SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun :) Do you like Overclocking? I can suggest what you could buy if you advise me of your budget , if you like to OC, and your OC experience...

You'll see a boost, compared to NOW, since you still didn't OC... You need at least 3.2ghz to prevent bottlenecks..

Getting i7 920 setup, 2 SSDs in RAID 0 and a watercooling setup (not necessary, just fun :)) will simply ROCK your world... On air, i7 920 can easily reach an average of 4ghz, so don't be fooled by it's low frequency.

10. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still using my QX9650... I enjoy it as much as I do with any other system... Paid lots of money for it, but now I am not into heavy OC and just I have no time for gaming and benching.

IMO , Sell it. Get yourself a i7 (the new D0 are amazing on air) and that can last a long time. But if you want to wait, get something new and exciting, go AMD ... There are not a whole lot difference in performance if you are just gaming around and browsing the net, but gives you a chance of trying something new, and its WAY cheaper, half price than if u go i7 setup, so you dont have to pay extra cash out of your pocket, just the amount u sell the QX9650

Reason Im keeping my CPU cause I bought it when I was 17, best purchase ever back 2 years ago, so I love it still

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    yea going i7 would be great.... just go i7 920 please :( the others are pure rip-offs

Just Tell me what I asked for before and I<ll build you a great system on the egg:)

12. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Be prepared for the plunge into Liquid Cooling if you go i7. Unless you plan to run stock speeds or slight OC with low load you are going to see extreme temps even with the best aircooling.

I have two QX9650 rigs and they both have provided the highest benchies I've run. One is aircooled and one is liquid cooled and both will bench at 4.2. The LC QX will run 100% load flawless at 4ghz.

The i7 rig is running around 63C load at stock plus turbo under 100% load...so I can't start pushing it. Without LC you will be locked into stock speeds under load.

13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    uhhh... i7 doesn't need WC at all... it just helps... i7s are MADE to run hot... the hottest safe temp is 100 centigrate, but I recommend 85 or less... and Aircooling can give you better than that even OCed to 4ghz o_O

14. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    My sempron single core is just fine for me. I mostly play BF2 and STALKER right now. I even played Crysis and it ran just fine when I still had my 8600gts (it kaboomed) and I'm only running 2.8GHz on it (24/7 clocks). Your QX9650 is a quad core, 3GHz stock spped (should do 4GHz flawlessly, if it can't, your chip is retarded), much faster clock for clock, and hell, it's an extreme edition that you most likely paid over $900 for, that's worth more than my entire computer. I'd imagine you could sell it for about $500, you memory for about $80 and motherboard for about $100, but even all that isn't enough for a i7 965. You could get an i7 920 and overclock to 4GHz (and beyond) but there's really no reason for doing so. You've already got a rediculous computer as it is, you don't need any more power. If I were you I would just sit on that rig for another 3 to 5 years (exception being video cards... AMD and Nvidia are always pooping out new video cards and DX11 is coming soon, estimated Q4 this year).

zOaib says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    N-ster here is my budget , now u have to convince me , since hat really put the logic in ..... but i jsut wanna see what u can come up with 1300 usd $ for i7 setup perfromance / per dollar blowing chunks.

16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I'm on it :) but 1300$ for a whole comp? probably for mobo + RAM + CPU + GPU huh?

Are you scared of Watercooling? would you have FUN with WC? bah no watercooling, unless you would have fun with it :)

I'll post by tonight since gtg to school now!

17. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    If you want a QX9650 PM Damulta he sells one that comes from rma for a really good price.

18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    READ please... he has a QX9650

19. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Dude sorry just woke up. haha. Anyway some advertisement for D.

20. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get an i7-920, a good Water cooler and OC it at 4GHz+......Thats all.
    Or a good Air Cooler and get it to 3.8GHz, that is great as well.

21. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Or get lucky and overclock it to 4.2gig on air :)

22. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Luck has nothing to do with that....The fact that on air he will have 55-60 degrees on idle does.

23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually 38 - 40C on idle but at load in OCCT it gets a bit toasty, well into the 70's, at 4.1gig it sits at about 69-71C. I am talking benchable here, not just booting to windows to enjoy the view!

I am at work now so I cannot show you my OCCT @ 4.2gig but this is at 4.1 and a bit gig, the pic does not prove it was stable, although I have 1 hour OCCT's at home, it does show however what temps the CPU is on at high load which would more than substantiate that the CPU is nowhere near 55-60C at idle...... it's all in the voltage! (and getting a good chip is where the luck comes in) Ohhhh thats with HT off, I cannot bench the full suite of benches with HT on beyond 4gig on air.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  24. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    and as I said, i7s can go in 80s centigrate... WC isn't needed... 4.0 on air is normal OC... at school will build it by tonight... u live near Microcenter?

25. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    my i7 920 @ 4.2 hits 65c idle