• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core2Duo E6300 - Overclocking for newbies

A.J.M

So far as I have remember Intel motherboard was not able to do overclocking due to the BIOS has no options for changing the FSB setting.Am I got it right?

D

Deleted member 24505

here are my settings for my e6300-

vcore 1.32v
fsb 500
mem 500 1:1
nb 1.25v
sb 1.6v
mem 2.3v

hope this is useful.

Hard Core

here are my settings for my e6300-

vcore 1.32v
fsb 500
mem 500 1:1
nb 1.25v
sb 1.6v
mem 2.3v

hope this is useful.

Thanks Tigger !! Great MotherBoard (asus P5B DELUXE rev 1.03g 0804 BIOS). ¿Do you know which other mobos (brands) are good for OC'ing a E6300.?

Happy New Year...

Hard Core

Overclocking Intel Motherboards...

So far as I have remember Intel motherboard was not able to do overclocking due to the BIOS has no options for changing the FSB setting.Am I got it right?

That's right my friend, our only hope is to get Systool -or some other software like ClockGen- working on this boards. Well, at least that's the cheapest way to do it...

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=2895&page=22

(Mine:Intel D946GZis)
(Chipset 946PL/GZ - rev. C1)

see you..

rizzo

Processor Intel Core2Duo E7500 2.93 @ 3.74
Motherboard MSI G41tm-E43
Cooling Ultra Chilltec tec , Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II Northbridge Cooler
Memory 2x1gig kingston @ 1020mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX650
Storage 2xSeagate 160gig Sata HD in Raid-0
Display(s) LG 20in
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) on board Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Purepower 600w
Software win7
Remember to take up voltage as high as it goes, Then you need super cooling , and off you go,

http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

Dont do that! Most c2d's can oc pretty well without any voltages added. Mine will do 2.8 undervolted. It's ok to try adding voltage 1 notch at a time if ya cant boot or to achieve stability but you dont just crank it to the max. Remember this is for "newbies". :cool:

Hard Core

It's okey Rizzo..

Remember this is for "newbies". :cool:

Don't worry, as long as you guys do post with a little explanation (if you agree)

Newbies (like me) are able to learn, but also willing to do it from experts like you...

Thanks for your consideration ... :)

Gunhoe

No it doesn't work.
I have a similar config, same MB, same RAM amount and same CPU. The only differences are that I have 1x1GB RAM and a GeForce 7600GT video card.

Tried ClockGen, CPUFSB, SysTool and none supported this Mobo.
I found out that the PLL (Clock Generator) is IDT CV174, not totally sure about this.

Any updates on getting this PLL working? I've got an Intel DG965WH board that has a CV174 pll that I can't seem to find anyway to overclock it.

I tried downloading that intel ITK, but it won't read the bios file that can be downloaded off the intel website.

Gunhoe

Emailed all the info to W1zzard a couple days ago,
also got the bios file to open up and there's zero support for Overclocking, there is not even a 'burn-in' mode.

Intel Rep

Any Word on DG965WH

Im trying to oc with this board, any word on systool comming through? I know a beta of clock gen can now do it, but it doesnt work with my vista 64 OS.

Also, can someone confirm that the beta of clock gen will OC a dg865WH in an XP enviroment? If so what are the results?

Hard Core

An answer to our prayers ??

I found this post in the Systool Forum. It could be the solution for mobos with clock gen chip: DT CV174C PLL

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=2895&page=10

Hello everyone,

I'm referring to a beta version of ClockGen from cpuid.com. ClockGen "is a program dedicated to overclocking. Its main purpose is to change the system clocks on the fly : FSB (Front Side Bus) and GSB (Graphic Side Bus). ClockGen also provides some functions that allow you to improve and monitor your overclock."

This version has not yet been officially released (and supported) by cpuid.com because development for ClockGen has been temporarily suspended.

Many thanks to Franck Delattre of www.cpuid.com for providing support for the IDT CV174C PLL. As usual, damage from overclocking your system is no one's fault but yours. So, try at your own risk, :).

I was able to change the clock speed of my Pentium D 945. I'm planning to do the same on my Core 2 Duo, :).

If you need support, you can try http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php.

These are the links to ClockGen and CPU-Z for this particular version of ClockGen:

http://www.cpuid.com/beta/ClockGen.zip
http://www.cpuid.com/beta/cpuz.zip

Please remember that support for the above softwares are still limited if not available, :) .

:toast:

Drakester

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.9 GHz (sad OC...) :S
Motherboard Intel D946GZIS Rev. C1
Cooling Stock
Memory 1GB Kingston ValueRam DDR2-533 @ 270mhz 3-4-4-12
Video Card(s) XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX @ 635/826
Storage Western Digital WD2500JS 250GB SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 740N 17"
Case Unknown Foxconn
Audio Device(s) Integrated SigmaTel Audio 5.1
Power Supply Stock 450w
Software Windows XP Professional SP2 Spanish / Vista RTM Spanish / Mac OSX86 Spanish
I found this post in the Systool Forum. It could be the solution for mobos with clock gen chip: DT CV174C PLL

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=2895&page=10

:toast:

Works with D946GZIS, it does a minimal overclock however, I don't know if it's because of the RAM or the Mobo itself.

When going over 270 FSB it freezes, I have tried to increase RAM timings but it hasn't worked, it doesn't even boot when I specify 5-4-4-13 (default is 4-4-4-12, right now it's at 3-4-4-12, it changed after I used SPDTool :D ).

Changing timings doesn't works with this RAM (Kingston Value RAM, DDR2, 1GB, 533mhz) it either beeps or it boots but screen remains black.
Even when setting manually the same timings that are assigned automatically doesn't work.

I don't know if it would be better to change RAM or the motherboard.

I'd be looking for:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2902&p=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

or:
OCZ Gold XTC 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2205992&CatId=2259

Both are pretty much the same $$$, which would give me better OC results?

Thanks in advance. :rockout:

Shkip

DONT DO IT.

Right when I clicked "read clocks" the system instantly froze.

I had to reset the CMOS battery to get my system running up again (tried twice).

@Darkster - What steps you take to get it working? maybe I was doing something nasty.

PS the GB mobo is excellent and not too pricey.

insect111

DONT DO IT.

Right when I clicked "read clocks" the system instantly froze.

I had to reset the CMOS battery to get my system running up again (tried twice).

@Darkster - What steps you take to get it working? maybe I was doing something nasty.

PS the GB mobo is excellent and not too pricey.

Hello,

I was the one who introduced the beta ClockGen in the other thread, :), and I think we've got mixed results. I was able to raise the speed of my Pentium D 945 from 3.4 to 4.0GHz. I guess C2D behaves differently, :).

I've been running my rig at 4.03GHz and I did not experience any problems so far. One member reported having his motherboard fried after using this beta version of ClockGen so please exercise extra caution when running this software.

insect111

Drakester

Cooling Stock
Case Unknown Foxconn
Power Supply Stock 450w
Software Windows XP Professional SP2 Spanish / Vista RTM Spanish / Mac OSX86 Spanish
Hello,

I was the one who introduced the beta ClockGen in the other thread, :), and I think we've got mixed results. I was able to raise the speed of my Pentium D 945 from 3.4 to 4.0GHz. I guess C2D behaves differently, :).
Thanks for the tip on the beta, credit where credit is due. :respect:

If you increase the FSB too much you could fry mobo and CPU, but it's the same risk with BIOS overclocking. I'd advise reading a basics on overclocking guide before attempting to do it.

The minimal OC I got has been fully stable, no problems whatsoever and there's an slight but noticeable increase in speed. (Vista Windows experience index for C2D increased a .1, it's 4.9 right now).

@Shkip: I'll attach a pic of my Clockgen, don't laugh about my sad OC.:laugh:

I'm leaning towards the new mobo right now but would like to hear more opinions.:cool:

Attachments

• clockgen.jpg
    clockgen.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6,884

Shkip

Thats OK, at least you could get it started :laugh:

But yeah, for this cheap mobo that shouldn't even OC this is fine.

PS Look in other foras for good opinions. XtremeSystems or ExtreOverclocking will give ya a good advice.

Insect yes Ill follow your warning.. better not make things worse.

insect111

Thats OK, at least you could get it started :laugh:

But yeah, for this cheap mobo that shouldn't even OC this is fine.

PS Look in other foras for good opinions. XtremeSystems or ExtreOverclocking will give ya a good advice.

Insect yes Ill follow your warning.. better not make things worse.

The first thing that they'll tell you is to get a motherboard that allows overclocking. But if you don't want to do that, there are tools you can use to overclock inside Windows. I'm also waiting for SysTool to support the IDT CV174C chip, :).

rizzo

Processor Intel Core2Duo E7500 2.93 @ 3.74
Motherboard MSI G41tm-E43
Cooling Ultra Chilltec tec , Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II Northbridge Cooler
Memory 2x1gig kingston @ 1020mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX650
Storage 2xSeagate 160gig Sata HD in Raid-0
Display(s) LG 20in
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) on board Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Purepower 600w
Software win7
I don't know if it would be better to change RAM or the motherboard.

I'd be looking for:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2902&p=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

or:
OCZ Gold XTC 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2205992&CatId=2259

Both are pretty much the same $$$, which would give me better OC results?

Thanks in advance. :rockout:

Get the mb. Ram wont take you too far on a shi...errr...crappy mb. Course once ya get the ds3 & start oc'ing you'll probably need new mem... It's a viscous cycle for the "enthusiast".:cool:

Drakester

Cooling Stock
Case Unknown Foxconn
Power Supply Stock 450w
Get the mb. Ram wont take you too far on a shi...errr...crappy mb. Course once ya get the ds3 & start oc'ing you'll probably need new mem... It's a viscous cycle for the "enthusiast".:cool:
I know it's sh*t :laugh: , it was the only one in the store that supported C2D, I was limited by the bad stock they have in PC shops here. They all have the same crap everywhere and there is only one store that sells high end stuff but it's overpriced.

I'm going for a MB then. :roll:

What about this one?
ASUS P5N-E SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1687_1.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/434/1/

It does reach around 500 FSB, and RAM speeds can be set separate so my cheap ram wouldn't limit CPU OC I assume.:pimp:

Plus I use NVIDIA so I get the chance to use a pair of 8600's when they are out or a 8800GTS in the near future and another next year.

Hi gR3iF, nice meeting you and thanks for the welcome and your help and sorry for the late reply:

In response:

1) Stock cooler
2) No cooler on my northbridge (i'll show you a picture)
3) Artic Silver 5 (put it just a few hours ago)
4) Core temps using the intel termal tool (following your suggestion)
idle:
cpu0: 40ºC
cpu1: 41ºC

on demand throttle:
cpu0: 50ºC
cpu1: 53ºC

Now: Some pictures of my bios. Sorry guys but they aren't good ones...did my best... ;)

... does that mean my CNPS7700CU was a waste of my money?

Drakester

Cooling Stock
Case Unknown Foxconn
Power Supply Stock 450w
Beta clock gen fried my mobo instantly.
That would be very bad luck, haven't heard of another case...

How much did you increase at once, or did you selected different PLL?

Are you sure it's fried? Try unplugging PC then remove motherboard's CMOS battery for 1-5 minutes and then put it back, connect and try to boot.

Intel Rep

Opps, Update

I have an intel board with idt 174c pll. ONce my pll was selected, i tried a weak overclock (raised fsb 5 mhz) and it was ok. I continued to rasie it some more til it crashed me. (expecting this) I went to removed my bios battery to make my system bootable again. When I opened my case up i noticed a bad smell, the smell of silicon melting. I unpluged my system, and upon inspection i found a score mark on the mobo. I will not attempt to reboot, new mobo is on the way. :confused:

Hard Core

Intel Rep...

I have an intel board with idt 174c pll. ONce my pll was selected, i tried a weak overclock (raised fsb 5 mhz) and it was ok. I continued to rasie it some more til it crashed me. (expecting this) I went to removed my bios battery to make my system bootable again. When I opened my case up i noticed a bad smell, the smell of silicon melting. I unpluged my system, and upon inspection i found a score mark on the mobo. I will not attempt to reboot, new mobo is on the way. :confused:

¿Are you sure is the mobo? ... you said you noticed a bad smell of silicon melting....

:confused: