1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Dominator DDR4 Memory Up For Pre-order

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    128GB is then limit for 8 slots (starting off,) isn't it? So that would be 4 channels of DDR4 goodness which would be closer to 65-70GB/s. :p
    People who are investing in skt2011 either:
    A: Have money to spend and money burns a hole in their pocket.
    B: Are going to be needing 40 PCI-E lanes to drive 3 or more PCI-E devices.
    C: Have very specific demands for a workstation.

Also inside the small niche inside of a niche, most skt2011 owners probably don't strictly use their machine for games. I know I certainly don't, in fact gaming was an after-thought when I "upgraded" everything except my case and one of my GPUs.

First off, it's Xeon. Second of all, most skt2011 machines are servers and are owned by businesses. Of course they want stability, their businesses depends on it but to say it's more important than performance is rather short sighted. No level of stability will be important if the hardware can't finish a given task fast enough. Also if you invest in a skt2011 server today, IVB-E Xeons support Registered ECC memory at 1866Mhz and SB-E Xeons supported 1600Mhz as well and come the fall, it will have been 3 years since SB-E came out. So considering the next "bump" would be 2133Mhz which is where DDR4 starts, it seems natural that the next bump would introduce DDR4.