1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Obsidian 800D

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Hanam, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hanam

Hanam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone get theirs yet?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Gotta admit that's one hell of a case.
  4. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would LOVE to have that case, but there is no way I'm paying that much for a case. However, that may change in April once I get my $300 security deposit back for my phone....
  5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    if it helps... I still havent figured out what this case lacks other than portability.
  6. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it have a removable motherboard tray? Does it have removable dust filters? If it has both of those, they yes, besides being somewhat un-portable, it's perfect. :D
  7. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man I'd really, really like to grab it but I'd regret dropping that much on it when times are tight...if...I...can...wait until April..
  8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Wait till April.... I say, shoot Sneeky a PM and see if you can be the first, if there isn't anyone yet, that can get his "hand-be-downs"

I say this only because it feels like he changes his computer cases like he changes his underwear... Or, does he go "monkey" and not wear any? :laugh:
  9. Hanam

Hanam New Member

Thanks Received:
    After about a week of thinking I pre-ordered from Newegg yesterday. $280 is a lot for something, but it's not too bad considering I can rent it out to a friend if they need a room to sleep in for awhile.
    dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
  10. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol true that man, it's a monster. You could put a full WC loop in there and still have plenty of breathing room.
  11. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    That is way too much for a case imo...
    But I would still love to have it! Already have places to hide your wires :D
  12. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    The price on that isn't really bad. The bad part of it is that since it's Corsair's first case, their going to be playing it up in price, some what, to be able to get funds flowing for r&d. Yeah, like they need the flow, but, it's a new venture..

A bad show, imho, of a makers first, is Scythe's Fenris Wolf.. Yeah, at frozenCPU it's a somewhat better price, but, at start it was $199 for something you can spend $100 bucks on and get the same fix for...

To me, yeah Anything over $200 is a big eye sore when your thinking of just a case alone.. Yes, my MM case was way over $300, but... can your case handle 14 fans without having to hang one, "ghetto", or have the ability to run 2 quad rads, a triple, and 2 singles? Together in one case?

Lol.. I almost want to try that now for over kill! lol
  13. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    no removable tray, in this chassis it isn't needed, plus it would screw with all the wire grommets. Dust filters, yes under the PSU. No real front intake, in the traditional sense.
  14. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Though this case looks awesome and i´m a sucker for corsair, i dont see this case surpassing cooling capabilites of the 1200, the haf, or the ACTS
  15. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just saw something in a Newegg review. You'll need 8 expansion slots for the 4 GTX 285's you'd put in the new EVGA 4x SLI board. The case only has 7. It's really not like I or many other people will ever have that board with 4 285's, but this could have been avoided by adding just 1 more expansion slot, there's more than enough room for it. I know, they had no idea about 4x SLI when making this case, but you'd think they'd put the extra one on there just for future-proofing. T_T
  16. deaffob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should I replace 1200 with this? I've been looking for something cool :D What about Silverstone Raven 1? Raven 2 has only 3 HDD slots :(
  17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    There is a vent in the very bottom for just such a setup. Only issue is only one screw hold the bottom card in slot 7, but it is vented to allow a dual bay fan to still exhaust out the rear of the chassis.
  18. Hanam

Hanam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got my case on Friday.

Here are some pics of the box when I received it:

http://i35.tinypic.com/282paut.jpg
    http://i34.tinypic.com/rbw23d.jpg

My first impressions of the box was disgust. Single-layer cardboard for this weight and size?

The box is just terrible, I'm not sure who thought it was a great idea to have a paper thin box. They definitely need to rethink the packaging.

The top tape was almost gone when it was delivered so it had been through some rough times with UPS.

For the price tag the packaging should be FAR better then what has been shown.

I'll post again with additional pics of the case itself later today.
  19. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    :roll: DO IT AND TAKE PICTURES!!!
  20. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Blame UPS? I've seen GPUs and PSUs delivered with cardboard that is less durable, no issues, and fine companies (Enermax/EVGA).
  21. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    GPUs dont weigh as much so its less likely to get so damaged by UPS.
  22. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    So that explains why the tape is missing on his box? I get it, the weight of the case is the reason why the tape is missing and the top mangled.
  23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    When the manufacturer ships them, they do it in bulk, so a bunch of these boxes likely go into a crate, and are well protected. Blame Newegg for not double boxing and/or the shipping company for damaging it, not the manufacturer.
  24. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Well since the system is water cooled I can get it done! lol.. Hmmm.. lol

Yeah, I'd get a hold of UPS on that sh1t.. they really dislike me for calling them all the times on their mistakes, but hell, I spend that xxx to get it here! I don't care if I got a person fired.. He should of took care of the package and not drop the damn thing on my door step like he did!
  25. Hanam

Hanam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look, I'm not some clueless consumer. I work for a company that does 90% exporting marine parts to Japan. I ship and receive a lot of light and heavy parts daily from both UPS and Fedex. I can tell you without a doubt that Fedex and UPS are worlds apart in quality. Keep in mind though that Fedex GROUND is just as bad as UPS, so watch out.

The box is poor quality, there's no doubt about it. When I got my Antec p180 a couple years ago the box it came in was incredibly sturdy and well made. it's surprising to me because the packing for the HX750 PSU I got a month ago was very well made. All they need to do is multiply the size of that box by 10 and triple it's thickness :D.

I'm curious as to why they forgot about quality when it came to the packaging when all their other products have quality packaging. Maybe they had trouble with the box manufacturer.

I do like the case though :)