1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cpu max safe temp

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dixsey, Oct 18, 2005.

1. dixsey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I have just bought an amd athlon 4000+ (san diego core) and i want to try some overclocking on it,can anyone tell me what is the max safe temp for this cpu.Thanks in advance Dixsey.
  2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    AMD said 70C is the max on E revision. If you have a temp shutdown feature in your bios, its best off to set it for 60C. If you don't have one, try not to get over 60C.

-Dan
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    maximum case temperature of 70'C,Max Thermal Power: 89 W.

^oops djbbenn got to it first :)
  4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    You got to be quicker. :p

But its pretty hard to get to those temps, even with stock cooling, unless you put some high voltage through it.

-Dan
  5. dixsey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice one Thanks guys
  6. Christer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I mildly hijack this thread?:) I also have just upgraded my rig with a Sandy 4000 on a A8N Deluxe mobo. This mobo has a hell of a lot of options for OC'ing, multimpliers, dividers, voltage, memory timings, mem clocks...etc.

I have read so em basic guides on how to OC Athlon 64's and whilst I understand what is being said, i don't seem to have the comprehension of how things hang together - i.e. which settings effect everything else....

For example, I have changed my multipliers from 12 to 9 and set the HTT to 290 - giving around 2.61ghz...correct so far? I have also dropped the dividers from 5 to 3 on the mem and left the violts at auto. I also have not touched the mem timings, although I notice they are at 2T instead of 1T. At this setting though, the RAM runs at 184mhz or something....

So can anyone tell me what the relationship is between mem clocking (400, 333, 266 etc) and the dividers and HTT.....?

Just some basic clarification as to what effects what would be good..:) Thanks...
  7. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    The ram speed is a ration to the FSB bus which is 200MHz stock. So if were to raise the FSB to say 220MHZ and set a 1:1 divider, your ram would be doing 220MHZ (440MHz DDR). With 1T and 2T, 1T is faster, but can cause instabilty if you mem clock is too high. You will easily be able to run it 1T with you speeds you just showed. The dividers are usually showed by giving a specific speed in DDR. Other boards just show the divider. The HTT has a multi of 5X stock. When you overclock, you want to keep that in the 900-1000MHz (1800-2000MHz DDR) range to maintain stability. So you should drop the multi to 4X when you start to raise your FSB, and drop it again once you get to the 250+ FSB. If its under 2000MHz, don't worry, it has a very small effect on performance. Think I got all your questions...:)

-Dan