1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crytek blames low Crysis sales on Piracy.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dangle, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    They ONLY sold 1 million copies! OMG! What a cry baby..
  3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Shit. I wont buy the game let along pirate the game for how shitty it runs on my computer.
  4. paybackdaman

paybackdaman New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they are comparing their sales to Halo's they are bound to fail...miserably. The only game that can touch Halo's sales is COD4 and that is because it is multi-platform.
  5. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quite sad.
    Such a good game too.

I wonder how much net profit they made.
  6. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like how emotek said "It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won't have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future" but didn't they export it to console? so if its on console its hardly an exclusive to PC anymore.

Also you had to have a incredibly high spec machine to run it well at the time of release so that did impact sales quite a bit.

Personally I think them complaining like this so long after release is just their attempt and guilt tripping PC gamers into buying their product xD
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Why havent I bought Crysis - I'd love a copy - reasons:

1./ Lauch price a bit steep (Yes, we PC users prefer games CHEAPER than console games prices. And the license/development costs are cheaper for PC... so same price ticketing is only trying to make a bigger margin by the publisher- And thats a problem for EA... they are a big margin house)

2./ Ultra-PC required. If I've got some spare cash I need to upgrade the machine FIRST

3./ Their website doesnt work unless you LOWER SECURITY for scripts, java and flash. Well I'm nt going to give EA access to low security on my machine, thank you

4./ Demo was a bit boring... and the characters seemed to be straight out of Unreal or Halo.

5./ It's still too expensive. At EUR 45-55, if I didnt buy in on day one at this price, why would I now? Needs to be at a similar price as FARCRY was. Anyone remember the launch price of FarCry? Yes, it was very accessible, and sold successfully. But EA will never release a "good value , sell millions". It's just not their philosphy.

You know, with the demo they might have shot themselves in the foot. While it was "exciting" to download and install. in gameplay, it was a bit of a let down. I didnt play the demo and think "I gotta get me this". Nope. I said, "I think I'll try STALKER". And did. :roll:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  8. Gallatin Guest

is a joke.... IF is a good game you gone bought it anyway.

...and im not upgrade just to play one game!!! (two or three maybe) :)
  9. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    What the hell? You guys have fine rigs for playing crysis on...

Crysis runs fine on a x1950 pro at 1920x1200 on medium/high (high lags when you have heaps of physics going on). And thats a fairly old card now.

And the game was $70AUD...so it wasnt THAT expensive.
  10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    If I can't run it maxed at 1920x1200 (except AA/AF, I'll sacrifice those), I won't run it at all. That's the only reason I haven't bought it yet. When I get a setup that lets me play with everything on Very High, I'll buy, until then, I'm not even gonna pirate it.
  11. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your setup cant? I could have sworn I was playing on very high settings.
  12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Nope. I can't set it to Very High at this res.
  13. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say Crysis flopped because for being too heavy on system-requirements to keep buyers away.
  14. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...Crysis lagged on my X1950 @ 1280x1024 when the settings were medium :p..howd you manage to get it working so good?

Also were you on XP or Vista? Cus apparently (I heard this somewhere, so don't quote me) it has DX10 features on Vista but only DX9 on XP so it runs worse on Vista.
  15. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope i played on vista.
    i had it on high with my x1950...

Like I said, there were periods of lag, and turning the character really quickly started making me sick so i had to turn off the motion blurring effects, but it was mostly playable.
  16. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I play it at 1680x1050 with High settings. Very High just kills it.
  17. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm Ill check once i get vista back up and running, its been giving me hell lately and i dont have the patience or time to bother fixing it, hooray for dual booting and ignoring system issues :D
  18. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i have bought it for only 1 reason mechwarrior legend mod :D
    crysis mp gameplay is like battlefield
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    depending on drivers, i could manage high/very high on the TV, and medium/high on the 22". Both managed 30-60FPS... but on an 8800GTX.

The game did run on weaker hardware, but it looked crap. the reason it sold poor was the bugs, high requirements, and stupid decisions (physics is locked to DX10 multiplayer only..... WHY!)
  20. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    cus its kils my system
  21. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Yes, we have NOW. But not when Crysis was launched when I was on x800 on P3.2. So the psychology is this: how to make a person who already said to themselves "no", change their mind (no matter what that original reason for "no" was). Answer: follow HL2 example. Cut the price heavily, or include further value-add, like "orange box".

But thats too much hard work for EA. They prefer the "console approach" of selling games. One release: high price: dont change the price or the content over its life. If you are going to release on PC, then follow the receipe for success: keep the developers on the payroll through the initial impulse sales to create extra content and debug to get to a better version that people can patch to.

Remember Crysis, and the HDR patch, and the AMD64 mod (textures could be installed on regular 32 version), etc.

Or SOF2... 1.03 patch added lots of extra content and maps, etc.

The real reason for "FAIL" (although at 1million sales that comment is questionable) is that EA is now a publishing house and NOT a developer in the old skool sense of the word. That means they "hire out" the development of a game at a fixed price and fixed deadline. Once "released" the development team/company is disbanded. A small development team will keep investing for an extra 30% sales. (Its all profit now). Whereas EA wont invest for an extra 30%. It just isnt their business model.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  22. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes but sometimes you have to sacrifice the mulah to play a game that just needs to be played.

If I had never played HL2 and it was still $100 now, Id buy it at a moments notice because its just one of those games that abolutely defines gaming history. That being said, Ive never played Quake/Unreal. Meh. :p
  23. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Is crysis a lot better than the demo? Someone only needs to say it's as good as Farcry or STALKER and I'm a buyer. (Now that I've got a system that can drive it)
  24. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    .......................................................(tk buys two copies of crysis)

Most of the average PCs u can get today, even 'midrange' dells will be able to play crysis (as in those with 8600GTs and above). Even my old PC which isnt really powerful can play crysis at very respectable settings.

I feel so guilty.
  25. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i can play crysis on very high settings just fine......no lag at all...around 30+ FPS granted it really doesnt go mch higher still my eyes cant tell the difference so i dont care about 120 FPS game play.