• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dangerous bug...?

paogiak

Hi all!
For a while i use the "Ati Tray Tools" to underclock my 3850 in boot- and 2D-mode and to decrease the fan-speed to a "i dont want hear you"-level (2%). Everything works fine, and the GPU temperature is in range (~40°C).
So today i decided to make it permanent and flash it into the BIOS.

First i used the "Ati Bios Editor" from computerbase.de. I modified the clocks and voltages of powerstate 0 and 1 and the "fan-control". After restart (with wet hands) everything looks fine, but the fan-control dont.

Then i found your RBE-Tool with the nice feature to modify the fan speed table like in "Ati Tray Tools" :)

So i loaded the already modified BIOS in RBE, leave the clocks and volts as they are, modified the fan table, flash it again with AtiWinFlash, and reboot...

...result: Black screen! :confused: ... :mad:

Undo: With DOS-Disk , atiflash and original BIOS :mad:

After another reboot (and still wet hands) everything looks fine, nothing broken...

Hmm... maybe the voltage too low...?

Once again: Loading the RBE-modded BIOS into "ati bios edit"... Error message: "Value is not in range!" ...aborted.

...what??? :confused:

Loading the same BIOS in RBE again... Aaaah! What happend to my clock-settings? :eek:
As you can see in the screenshot the RBE completly ignores the decimal point in the values made by the "ati bios edit" after saving.

Not wondering about the black screen anymore ... and using integer values everything works fine, include the fan-table.

Enough for me today... cheers!

123.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
First of all whats all this about wet hands?

Never heard of ati bios edit.
I have used just RBE and ATiWinFlash without any issue.
The best plan would be to start from scratch without using ati bios edit.
Extract your BIOS with GPUZ, load it into RBE.
Edit in RBE & Save.
Open ATi Win Flash, load the modified BIOS into ATi Win FLash and Flash your BIOS.

Note:-
ATi Win Flash in known to cause bricking if there are other applications which maybe problematic.
Which is why it is a good idea to have nothing running in the background when flashing your GPU with ATi Win Flash.

The safest way to flash your GPU BIOS is with a bootable USB.

paogiak

I am sorry, if i confused you.

There are several tools to extract the bios from your card... not only GPUZ.

And i only wanted to inform you, that some of them use a decimal point in the clock values that RBE cant handle.

nothing else.

bye