1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Data of 50 Million MegaUpload Users To Be Deleted

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    cloud computing just seems like an overly jazzy and hyped up term for what used to be a terminal and mainframe system....1980's revamped!

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really. In Terminal and Mainframe, the company owned the terminals and the mainframe AND BACKED UP THEIR MAINFRAME. The company was in full control of the data, the backup process, and the recovery.

In Cloud, you only own the "Terminal". You don't have the "mainframe", and don't have control of the data, the backup process, and the recovery. In fact, 3rd parties can easily interfere with these essential elements of the "T+M+B" concept.

3. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok then....it's a jazzy name for a shit version of a 1980's technology?

4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Why would you upload your backups to the internet!?:banghead: I don't care how secure online backups are I will never do it. I can't believe so many people used MegaUpload I saw that site thought it was crap and full of virus. I even told my self I wonder how long till this place gets shutdown.

5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    are we really surprised tho... i mean it was shut down by the feds after all.

More than 25k PPD
  6. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    then at the same time, hard drives are very expensive these days u_u

7. TurdFergasun New Member

Thanks Received:
    the price of mechanical drives are killing me right now, if there were only way to tap into the data storage potential of the human brain... imagine fields of human data storage units powering a vast interlinked network of high-speed information exchange.... one can only dream.

8. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    With all the support MU had, you'd think someone with deep pockets would cover the cost of keeping the servers running just so people don't get screwed. Even though this is technically legal, it's the kind of legal that makes you feel like an asshole.

9. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    does suck for the ~0.5% that used it for legitimate hosting purposes.

10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I think more than 75k of the 150m users of Megaupload used it for legitimate purposes. Assuming 149,925,000 people were using MU just for Piracy is completely ridiculous.

w3b says thanks.
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    No, I didn't miss interpret you, I've seen it happen with water. Hell, water isn't a necessary utility that must be provided. When I was living in a town-home my water was turned off for 24 hours because my neighbor didn't pay his bill and the utility company turned off the wrong valve. Came home from work and the water was just off, after ripping into the operator at the water department they paid for my nights stay in a very luxurious hotel...

The government's opinion when it comes to water is essentially that there are plenty of sources of fresh water for people to drink from if their water is turned off, so if you don't pay the bill, it gets turned off.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    very ouch for a lot of people. no refunds or anything for subscribers either - they could have paid a lot of money for a legit service, and now they lost the service, their money, and their data.

13. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    You're talking about a cross between "Johnny Mnemonic" and "The Matrix".

14. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    It will take a lot to now convince me to trust the cloud with anything. I also know our IT dept. at work has now hardened their resolve to host all our data themselves.

I can see cloud companies going down the drain over this.