1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Debian 7 software install

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by GoFigureItOut, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    Whenever I use apt-get to install programs from the command line, I always get prompted to insert the install DVD. Is there any way to bypass that? I believe that it is listed in the sources file. I was wondering if its commented out would it break anything?

2. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    No, it won't harm anything, so feel free to uncheck the DVD installation media in "Sources"/whatever menu (or just comment like you're planning to do).
    It's a weird promt though. I've never seen any of these using my Debian 5, 6 or 7 installations, and I've also been using the APT-GET method. I think you should check if all the Repository Manager settings are at their defaults.

GoFigureItOut says thanks.
  3. Ruyki

Ruyki

Thanks Received:
    Try removing the link to an install disk from your sources file but make a backup first so you can revert the change.

GoFigureItOut says thanks.
  4. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    Thanks you two! I was able to fix it by going to the Synaptic Package manager and un-ticking the DVD as a source for packages.