1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Decided to take a hammer to a 4770k

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by niko084, Jun 29, 2013.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Today my co-worker set out to DeLid his 4770k.

We took the tops off a few old 775 and AM2 chips for practice, using a razor it went pretty good!

However the 4770k the IHS didn't have much of a gap to get the blade in so he decided to pound it off. Gave some practice on an old Celeron there, as you can see failed miserably and even made a gouge in the IHS. However he wasn't about to give up so he grabbed his chip and set it up, took a few hits and a few stops due to concern but alas it came off.

The thermal paste they used here feels like rubber and it's terrible at it's job! His IHS is really flat so it will probably not get lapped. After new thermal paste and re-assembly the temps 1.25v 4.2ghz went down by 16c full load after an hour+. I know this is probably very high voltage for the clock but we were looking for a base line and haven't really played around with clocking this chip yet.

Attached Files:

2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Very nice results congrats!
  3. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Nice result, a shame Intel uses such crap paste. :(
  4. Grnfinger

Grnfinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    so how to you reseal the IHS?
  5. boulard83

Thanks Received:
    Great work !

This method aftraid me loll !
  6. Simon998 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't bother. I used the Noctua paste and then just clamped the cooler on nice a tight. There's very, very little movement when it's clamped.
  7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Didn't... Put new TIM on the die and placed the IHS over it, held it in place while clamping the socket down, didn't move much at all, still running like a champ!

Did consider tabbing it down the corners with a touch of superglue and may in the future.
  8. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Good job. Very important info.

Only conclusion I can come to is that Intel is trying to 'wean' enthusiasts off overclocking.

First they introduce CPU families with only "K" clockable chips, and now make them so hot as to reduce their overclocking value.