1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dedicated Physx card for a 2gb GTX 670

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Terranigmatic, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Terranigmatic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Was hoping to get some advice on this, I'm aware I shouldn't need a dedicated physx card as the 670 should handle it. However I was considering getting one as I found Alice Madness returns was unplayable with it.

I'm aware Alice is rather poorly coded but it was unplayable even with Physx on low.

What I wanted to know was, is there a card out there that won't bottleneck the 670? (that isn't so pricey I should just Sli 2 670's)

I've had a good look online, but haven't found any definite answers. I've been considering a gtx 460 768mb or a gts 450 I know these should comfortably handle any physx requirements but do not know if it would just hinder the 670.

Any advice would be massively appreciated as I'm going in circles, my apologies if the answer to this is hidden in the forums. I did look I promise!
  2. boulard83

Thanks Received:
    Get a 650ti, will be more efficient than a 450. ( 450/460.768 could still do it ).

A friend buyed a "simple 650" and loosed some FPS in some title VS a gain with a 650 TI in pretty much any title. The 650 is not enough.
    Terranigmatic says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure Alice is using GPU PhysX? A good way to test would be to check CPU/GPU load with PhysX on high, then on low.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
  6. Terranigmatic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice Guys, I'm reinstalling Alice to have a tinker with the settings will update with any findings tomorrow.

Erocker - I'm certain I set it in the Nvidia control panel so that the Physx on the GPU as I assumed it could easily handle it.

Sneekypeet - Thanks for that link will try it next chance I get as Alice will take a few hours to download.

Boulard - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I was questioning if the GTX460 would be enough.

theonlyandonlymrk - I have enough in credit notes at my local game shop to easily afford a 650 ti. I've only just built my rig, can't afford another 670 for quite a while as awesome as it would be to have them running in sli.... I can but Dream :)

I have a 750w PSU I'm hoping that would support a 670 and a 650ti for physx?
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    For one game, and the minimal effects PhysX actually adds to Alice, I wouldn't even waste the money.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Terranigmatic New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not just Alice though, I have plenty of games with Physx Batman Arkham asylum & City Borderlands 2, Mafia 2 and metro 2033 and some others I'm probably forgetting.... Damn steam sales.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    In all those other games a single GTX670 will handle PhysX just fine though, Alice is really the only one that "needs" a dedicated card to get good performance because of its terrible performance.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Terranigmatic New Member

Thanks Received:
    In that case I probably won't bother seems pointless throwing about £100 at a physx card for one game. Thanks for the info :)
  11. Terranigmatic New Member

Thanks Received:

Tried this and the game won't start when I move any folders into the back up folder. followed other steps, Picture just jump around endlessly stuttering, it's headache inducing not even a low frame rate which i could live with. Just very poorly coded game I guess.
  12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    wasnt it proven that cards above the gts460 can handle physX on their own?
  13. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I have an old 275 running Physx, in FluidMark it reaches 73% usage, but in actual Physx games it doesnt get a whole lot of use. Metro Last Light however GREATLY improves with a seperate card handling Physx. Everyone else just turns the damn thing off. I had 2 275's laying around though, so it didnt cost me any extra, nor did I need a new PSU.
  14. Terranigmatic New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've managed to fix the problem now, after MUCH tinkering I found that the game was for some reason processing all the physx on my cpu (even though it set to be done on my gfx card), so after reinstalling my nvidia drivers this problem went away.

Also changing engine settings to remove forced V-sync and raising the minimum frame rate from to 30 to 60 has Vastly improved the game, It's still a bit jumpy but can play 60fps with it never dropping lower with physx on medium perfectly stable. Thank you to everyone offering their help :)
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013