1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Dimensions or Optiplex Better?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have these two computers, and was going to give one away to someone who needs a computer. In terms of spec I'd say the Dimensions E310 is better than the Optiplex 270. But the optiplex 270 seems to have way more connectivity inside. Basically I want to keep the fastest computer. Here is the specs for the Dell Dimensions E310 and Dell Optiplex GX270. I have installed 2GB memory in the Dimensions E310, and the Optiplex GX270 has 512md memory. Both are pentium 4, but the Optiplex is Celeron and the Dimensions is Pentium 4 HT. Right now the Dimensions is quite speed because of the added 2GB memory and the Optiplex is slow because of the 512mb memory. But if the Optiplex had 2Gb memory would it be faster than the Dimensions. Also the E310 is using SATA for the harddrive and the Gx270 is using IDE.

Which one should I keep?
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Dimension
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Keep the E310 Its more uptodate
  4. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aite. Thanks.
  5. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    The optiplex's are more of a "workstation" type of system. Some of the higher end Optiplex's are built for server demands, however the old GX270 was mainly built and used for company workstations.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the OptiPlex series are Dell's standard work PC; the Precision series are workstation-class.
  7. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Your Dimension is a better machine than your OptiPlex (that being a relative thing; they're both old and dated). However, before you decide which one to give away, open them up and check their motherboards for bad capacitors. The OptiPlex GX270 is notorious for having bad caps. At work, we sent a bunch of them to BadCaps.net for capacitor replacement. After recapping, they worked fine.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  8. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    This! When I worked for Jones County School Systems here in middle GA We fought and fought with Optiplex 270 motherboards. The caps are just plain junk dell sent us motherboards to replace them with. Wow what a shitty month that was. :laugh:
  9. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you know if the capacitors are bad if the computer is working fine? Should there be some sort of discoloration on the the surface?
  10. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    The tops of the capacitors should be flat and clean. Bad caps have a bulging top, or the top has split open with a crusty paste on it, or the bottom has cracked open and the solution has leaked out. Go to Google Images and search for "bad capacitors"; you'll find lots of pics.
    happy says thanks.