1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell to Launch Low-Cost Mini-Laptop in June

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Apr 10, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just like many other manufacturers, Dell now announced plans to take a piece of the sub-$500 low-cost notebook market, by releasing its first low-cost 8.9-inch mini-laptop made by Compal Electronics. Compal will initially ship 200,000-300,000 notebook computers to Dell each month, a Compal official said, confirming the existense of such a product. Compal Electronics, the world's second-largest contract manufacturer of notebook computers by revenue after Quanta Computer Inc., aims to ship 1 million to 2 million low-cost notebook computers to Dell in 2008, the official added. Specifications of the new Dell mini-laptop are unknown, but first batches are expected to ship in early June, the same time when Intel's new Atom processors are set to become available.

Source: The Wall Street Journal
    1c3d0g and guyguy say thanks.
  2. guyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    sub-$500 i might be able to afford one...
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmm.... want specs!

Looking for a new laptop to replace my aging P3, battery life and media are all i care about (large screen not neccesary, as long as its a wide)

Lots of brands are offering these kinda things lately, but at least with dell i know they'll reach aus
  4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Dell offers a $499.99 laptop as it stands. With a C2D T2350 (or something similar) 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, integrated Intel GMA930 graphics and I believe its either a 12.1 or 14.1 inch widescreen. Guess they are trying to corner additional markets...
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if they can get one below $400 au i'll leap on it. thats what i paid for the P3, and its got a wonky screen!
  6. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, cool, another P3 owner! They rock, but are too slow. At least they're kind on battery life. I'm waiting for a company to release an Atom based subnotebook, below $400. If Dell gets to it first, then all the better for me! I like Dells, even if they're useless at OC'ing.
    Hopefully this one will have a CD drive.
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my battery shat itself, lasts about an hour using nothing more than MSN. I too want an intel atom system... as long as its cheap, can hopefully run vista premium (aero or not) and last 3+ hours (idle/light use) its a win for me.