1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Device ID changed on 3650

Discussion in 'RBE' started by rkirkw, Oct 18, 2008.

1. rkirkw New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Sapphire HD 3650 AGP 512 MB DDR2 card
    I used RBE 1.5 to create a new bios and flashed it from DOS with ATI Flash 3.39
    During the flash it changed the Device ID from 9596 to 9598
    After this, I could not get any version of the device driver to recognize my card.
    I tried 8.4, 8.9 and 8.10

I was able to flash the original bios back and get it working again.

I see that there is newer versions of ATI Flash and RBE
    Before I go through this headache again, is this a known problem with this card? I see that BAGZZlash had some questions about which Device ID to use when building the new bios.
    See http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=765249&postcount=213

Should I expect greater success with the newer versions of RBE and ATI Flash?

Thanks!

2. rkirkw New Member

Thanks Received:
    More confusion on flashing HD 3650 AGP

I download ATIFlash 3.60 and RBE 1.17 and decided to give it a shot again.
    The ATIFlash 3.60 would not even run the atiflash -i to see the card ID's so I went down to 3.59 and was able to run atiflash -i.
    Now, unlike with ATIFlash 3.39 I see card ID 0 that is designated Rialto and card ID 1 that is designated the RV635. They both have the same device ID of 9596 and there is only 1 video card in the box - not even an onboard GPU. I know that the Rialto is the AGP to PCIe bridge and the RV635 is the HD 3650 chip.

My question now is, when I go to flash the RBE modded bios do I run the atiflash -p 0 BIOSFILE.rom or atiflash -p 1 BIOSFILE.from to update this card?

Thanks!

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    "atiflash -p 1 BIOSFILE.rom" ;)

4. rkirkw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update

I have not had a chance to try it again, but will update when I get a chance

5. lucash New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got the same vga card. Please can you tell me how high is vgpu in your original bios?

6. rkirkw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not overclocked yet

I cannot overclock at all with ATI CCC Overdrive.
    Everytime I try , it does not work.

I thought the only way to get more performance is to modify the bios. I tried once and failed - could find a driver that would recognize the card.
    I have not had time to try it again, but I was looking for modest improvements.
    Upping the Memory speed to 540 from 500 and GPU from 725 to 750 was my initial goal.
    I may get to do this over the upcoming weekend.
    I will post to this thread when I do.

I have lower expectations with the ATI card than I have had with my NVIDIA 8600 GTS - I can up that by 100 mhz or more and it just hums away

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. lucash New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which memory you have onboard? Samsung? Do you have heatsink on memory modules?

8. upscope76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Resolution???

rkirk,

Did you pursue this further? (I'm fighting :banghead: with the same video card, and have not been able to modify the BIOS successfully iot improve on the default clock settings.)

Thanx in advance for sharing your history with it.

"If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong!":toast:

9. rkirkw New Member

Thanks Received:
    I gave up on it

I tried another time and have tried every CCC from 8.6 to 9.1 and still cannot get it to overclock. I think the AGP card is complicated by having the Rialto processor converting the PCI-E to AGP on the bus.

Eventually, I turned off adaptive anti-aliasing and got good enough performance to be happy. Will have to build another computer to be able to play any heavy duty games like Crysis.