• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did I Fry My Motherboard???

Processor 3700X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Spirit 140
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2070
Storage 970evo
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W Gold
Software W10Pro
Heres what happened: I had my sys running at +10%FSB, and memory downclocked from 533 to 400, everything was phine, until I decided to see if the mem could handle at 533. Computer started but bios settings did not load, so I restarted and the bios beeped a bunch of timee...looked in manual and there was no explanation. So now the computer turns on as soon as i hit the rear powerswitch, no beeps, no post, no screen, just fans and drives spin. I reseated mem and vid card, put minimum plugged in=1 stick of mem, vid card, cpu fan, that is it. Still no POST. I unplugged all power and took out battery for 45mins, still turns on as soon as I hit rear power switch and no POST.

Please help.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I have an Abit and it has a great feature where if I do push it to hard and it doesnt post I just hold down Insert and it goes back to the original settings, RatusNatus is right tho just clear the CMOS and your back to normal(just remember to go thru the BIOS and set everything again E.G disabling onboard sound etc.)

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
That was the first thing I did, also replaced with a new battery. Thanks for the help.

Took everything out and put on workbench, still nothing, it should beep at least, even without mem it should give some beeps, am I right? I am guessing the mb is dead, didnt see any physical signs anywhere on anything..vid card, processor, or mb. MB led lights up and cpu fan spins.:cry:

Also tried pressing insert, f2, etc. There is no bios, no beeps, nothing, just power, left over night without a battery or power cmos should have cleared manual said it only takes 2 minutes to clear the cmos by this manner.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
put the original battery in it unlug the psu pull the battery wait a few sec put the battery back in plug the psu in boot it......if that doesnt work unplug the psu leave the battery in in your mobo it should point out the CMOS short pin...follow the instructions short the pins for a couple seconds plud the psu in and boot it.

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
newer intel boards dont have clear cmos, it is done automatically if the sys is unstable, which used to work great. manual says to unplug power and remove battery for a couple of minutes to clear cmos manually, which also worked great in the past. I also tried to blind flash the bios but no go. Right before my computer died I heard the beeps get distorted like someone was stabbing them with a knife in the gut.
Also tried different ps.
On my way to see if this computer shop will test things for me. Will post what they found if any.

aff1nity

I don't know if anyone's been tracking this, but all the help responses (while they were legit attempts at helping) only told hotrippr to do what he already tried to do. Removing the battery - which he already said he did - clears the CMOS. Weird =/.

Anyways, I had the same thing happen to my motherboard a while ago (it turns out my sister kept physically hitting the case to stop case vibrations and apparently just... crashed the computer one day and it never booted up!) Fans would start and everything, but no real response. Solution? I was just about to buy a new computer, so no worries.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Clear the CMOS, remove the battery and unplug it for a few minutes :roll: .

Seriously though, it doesn't sound to good for your motherboard at the moment. I hadn't realized Intel had begun to delve into the overclocking market? I imagine they are not to good at it yet. If you want to do some ocing replace your motherboard with a DFI, ASUS, or Abit. You don't have other memory sticks, Video card, etc. you can switch out to test components do you?

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
OHHH man! Went to Big Corp store bought a piece of junk mb to test all other hardware. Thank god, it powered up went into bios checked mem, vga, cpu all good!:D I am just glad it wasnt my vid card or cpu, to bad for mb though:cry: Looks like it is done, yeah they do suck at ocing, their next line is supposed to have all full oc-ing options, f-that! I am done with Built by intel boards. I have the new asus premium 975x on the way. This other brand new board is going back tomorrow, I asked the guy if they have restocking fees and he said no, gotta love sticking it to the man:nutkick: They would have charged $85 just to tell me what I figured out for myself for free.

Now to a new Question am I gonna lose all my data from my raid 0 array???? Cause that would suck! Or can I just "repair" windows on my new setup??? I would of course do a clean reinstall after I backed everything up. Or maybe use another drive to setup a clean windows install and then plug these in as secondary, I know this works with single drives but howabout in raid0???

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Processor 3700X
Storage 970evo
Software W10Pro
Thermopylae_480 said:
Clear the CMOS, remove the battery and unplug it for a few minutes :roll: .
Hillarious!

I will try one more time, so the universe can be happy!