• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Digital audio basics

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I've always wondered why display port has not replaced HDMI.

I heard quite a while back there was some sort of issue with them but I don't rmember where the link is which explained it.
Could be BS though so HDMI stays.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
HDMI stays for the same reason BluRay stays: they have too much corporate backing to be unseated.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Why isn't this in the Audio forum?

Good question. That's been driving me nuts. Mods never seem inclined to move these threads into the audio forum. A lot of people don't even see that it's there yet. How are they going to learn if threads aren't getting moved?

T

twilyth

I reported my own thread and asked that it be moved. Sorry guys. I did check the front page so I'm not sure how I missed it.

The purpose of this thread was to get information on using digital audio rather than sound cards and analog audio. For most people, analog audio should be fine as long as you're using amplified speakers. But if you want standard unamplified speakers that are more toward the audiophile end of the spectrum, you have to go with something like a integrated amp or amp/pre-amp setup. In that case, since you will almost invariably have hdmi, toslink and s/pdif inputs, it's pretty pointless to spend a couple hundred bucks on sound card that's only going to give you line-level outputs anyway.

One of the things I'll try to get around to eventually is modifying the reserved posts to cover things like the s/pdif headers available on most m/b's and your options for using it if you decide to go that route (hat tip to streetfighter2).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i agree that hdmi is far superior to analog with the right equipment. hell, even with high scale digital equipment hdmi is better.for instance, if you can't tell the difference between dts-hd and dts then you have a shit system and then should not care about hdmi.

Funtoss

System Name My Heater
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B-E Plus
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
Memory Patriot 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Storage 2x Western Digital 640GB (1.28TB)
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2349wm 24"
Case Raidmax Hurricane
Audio Device(s) C-Media 8738
Power Supply Aywun Megapower 650w 80+
Software Windows 7 64 Bit
HDMI!! i wish my z 2300 could be converted to hdmi??

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w

streetfighter 2

if you can't tell the difference between dts-hd and dts then you have a shit system and then should not care about hdmi.
Originally Posted by AuralXTC
There is a difference but it's neither huge or negligible.

Most of the differences come with regards to LFE/bass quality and "air" or "detail". I find ambience/atmospherics are quite a bit better with the added resolution, and big action scenes benefit from a greater clarity due to the extra breathing room. This results in slightly smoother panning between speakers and an overall more "cohesive" and less "congested" soundfield imo.

Again, it's not huge but it's noticeable, a bit more than "subtle". Although it does vary from film to film and mix to mix. I think a lot of it has to do with having a room/equipment capable of resolving said differences, too.
In a nutshell I don't think anyone could tell the difference between DTS-HD and DTS on a movie like, As Good as It Gets, provided they didn't do a really lousy job on the encode. On the other hand the tunnel scene in The Dark Knight . . . ;)

(My assumptions include that the system is already tuned.)

Last edited:
System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
i agree that hdmi is far superior to analog with the right equipment. hell, even with high scale digital equipment hdmi is better.for instance, if you can't tell the difference between dts-hd and dts then you have a shit system and then should not care about hdmi.

except HDMI also gives you 7.1 vs 5.1 from optical/coax....

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
In a nutshell I don't think anyone could tell the difference between DTS-HD and HD on a movie like, As Good as It Gets, provided they didn't do a really lousy job on the encode. On the other hand the tunnel scene in The Dark Knight . . . ;)

(My assumptions include that the system is already tuned.)

True, certainly the encode makes a difference AND the genre of the movie. As a rule though I would say that if you cannot tell the difference between DTS and DTS-HDMA then you your system isn't up to the task.

except HDMI also gives you 7.1 vs 5.1 from optical/coax....

and optical cannot stream DTS-HDMA.(im referring to the actual lossless trackon a bluray, not the lossy core track which is essentially just DTS, or a compressed track.)

System Name Obelisc
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Case T81
Software Win10 64bit
If you have a soundcard and you're doing hdmi audio through your graphics card is your soundcard still doing anything? Or does the card's onboard audio chip and hdmi drivers take over? Cause that would suck and make for a good reason to stick with optical.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
If you have a soundcard and you're doing hdmi audio through your graphics card is your soundcard still doing anything? Or does the card's onboard audio chip and hdmi drivers take over? Cause that would suck and make for a good reason to stick with optical.

The soundcard does nothing! The new generation of video card's handle the audio independantly (on different applications)

You can run HDMI via your video card and run your soundcard via optical simultaneously if that's what you desire?

T

twilyth

The soundcard does nothing! The new generation of video card's handle the audio independantly (on different applications)

You can run HDMI via your video card and run your soundcard via optical simultaneously if that's what you desire?
Exactly. If you right click the speaker in the task tray and select playback devices, you will see all of the devices available. On most systems with an onboard audio chipset, you will see "speakers high def audio device", digital audio (s/pdif) and digital audio (hdmi) - probably with a few duplicates.

My active HDMI connection shows up as syncmaster since that is the monitor at the end of the hdmi chain (gt210 -> yamaha receiver -> syncmaster).

in most audio applications you can select which device you want to use. Otherwise, it will be whatever you have set as the system default in playback devices.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
and optical cannot stream DTS-HDMA.(im referring to the actual lossless trackon a bluray, not the lossy core track which is essentially just DTS, or a compressed track.)

you said people should not care about HDMI if they cannot tell the difference between DTS and DTS-HD...

i gave a reason why people do care... it gives more channels.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I've always wondered why display port has not replaced HDMI.

I heard quite a while back there was some sort of issue with them but I don't rmember where the link is which explained it.
Could be BS though so HDMI stays.
Displayport is meant to replace DVI. Not HDMI

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
needs more thunderbolt to replace all connectors :p

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Audiophiles, especially those with lots of cash, are all insane. :)

System Name Obelisc
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Case T81
Software Win10 64bit
Do nvidia and amd cards offload open al processing? If they do it won't be such a loss not having a soundcard. The only settings I still use on my forte are treble. Over time the other crap just started to seem pointless to me. Back on the fatality I needed the equalizer and the crystalizer. With the forte it seems less is more.

T

twilyth

Audiophiles, especially those with lots of cash, are all insane. :)
Yeah, at a certain point that's true. I spent about $1500 just for the front and center channels on one system but that barely rates the low-end of what is considered "audiophile". I was looking at some Bowers and Wilkinson speakers and may try giving them a listen if I get to a decent shop some day. But even researching the NHT's, most audio publications don't even start doing reviews until the price is at least $1000 per box.

Having said that though, the NHT's are really amazing and would consider upgrading the other channels - but not any time soon.

I'm sure at some point it becomes impossible to hear the difference and what you're really paying for is bragging rights but I think that point is probably at a price point fairly well beyond what I've been paying.
Do nvidia and amd cards offload open al processing? If they do it won't be such a loss not having a soundcard. The only settings I still use on my forte are treble. Over time the other crap just started to seem pointless to me. Back on the fatality I needed the equalizer and the crystalizer. With the forte it seems less is more.
I don't understand the question. What do you think is being off-loaded? HDMI ports on video cards just pass the digital data to the receiver. It's just a datastream.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
a beautiful sight :)

streetfighter 2

I don't understand the question. What do you think is being off-loaded? HDMI ports on video cards just pass the digital data to the receiver. It's just a datastream.
He's talking about the DSP chip on a sound card which would usually do the 3D positional sound, effects, and provide support for APIs like OpenAL. It's a good question and I'm still looking for an answer. I'll edit my post if I find one . . . :eek:

For now this is the best I can find:
[OpenAL] Hardware support is enabled for many Creative and NVIDIA audio devices
under Windows as well.
. . .
If the hardware consists only of an addressable output buffer, then
OpenAL must be implemented almost entirely on the host CPU.

Last edited:
T

twilyth

He's talking about the DSP chip on a sound card which would usually do the 3D positional sound, effects, and provide support for APIs like OpenAL. It's a good question and I'm still looking for an answer. I'll edit my post if I find one . . . :eek:

For now this is the best I can find:

I looked at the wikipedia entry and it seems like it is meant to simulate 7.1 audio over one or 2 channels. Is that very widely used? I would think it would be a lot easier to take 7.1 digital audio and try to reproduce that in the receiver or speaker hardware. Isn't that what sound bars do? Personally I'd have to hear it to believe you can reproduce the same soundstage as with 8 channels properly deployed, but IDK.

streetfighter 2

So here's what I found on the question of OpenAL support on graphics cards . . .

Graphics cards do not support OpenAL
I was only able to find circumstantial evidence to support this but it is reasonable to me. I checked the specifications for the HD 6850, GTX 580 and H67 onboard to see whether they support OpenAL or any kind of hardware support; they did not. Interestingly though I found this bit about H67 showing that Intel's implementation of DisplayPort is heavily gimped.

When using HDMI output OpenAL processing is pushed to the CPU
The evidence I have supporting this comes almost entirely from one quote in the OpenAL 1.1 specification.
If the hardware consists only of an addressable output buffer, then
OpenAL must be implemented almost entirely on the host CPU.
Prior to including an HD audio controller on graphics cards with HDMI output, you had to attach an internal SPDIF cable to the graphics card from a motherboard/soundcard header in order to get sound through HDMI. If Windows 7 includes a software driver that performs this function then it should be possible to run OpenAL on a supported audio controller and then "pipe" it to the graphics card's audio controller. I'm not presently aware if such a system exists.​
I looked at the wikipedia entry and it seems like it is meant to simulate 7.1 audio over one or 2 channels. Is that very widely used?
As far as I know OpenAL is very similar to DirectSound but OpenAL provides hardware support on the newer versions of Windows (whereas DirectSound hardware support was dropped in Vista+). I do not believe that simulating 7.1 over 2 channels is a feature of OpenAL. Like other 3D sound APIs, you simply tell it where you want a sound to be in a 3D space, and what the sound is, and then OpenAL will take care of transforming and placing the sound with regard to whatever setup you have (stereo, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, etc.).
I would think it would be a lot easier to take 7.1 digital audio and try to reproduce that in the receiver or speaker hardware. Isn't that what sound bars do?
I believe you are correct, that is what sound bars do. I don't think there have been many standard terms adopted in the field of sound bars and simulated multichannel audio but I've heard virtual surround and Dolby Virtual Speaker thrown around a bit. I really don't know much about how these technologies work.

Thatguy

Willing to take that double blind listening test ?